Hello, welcome to Boardseeker Windsurfing Magazine please use the links below to jump to a specific section.

Navigation Search Content Other Mpora Sites
Mike
Dont like your new "pay for view" concept
29 March '07 | 1:42pm
Unfortunately your on line mag has moved to the "lets get readers to pay now" aproach, like Pay TV. Give lots up front, get the readers hooked on line, hit them up to now to pay for what was once offered free of charge because they really don't want to cut ties with a good product, wink, wink.
Usual rhetoric then offered up about how high cost are to produce mag and video's and its all worth it and so on for those who may complain about latest business approach.
Fortunately I do have some exposure to this industry and the normal business dealings with how the manufactures and outlets promote via the on line mags.
They pay for this privilege to gain access to the customer base, particularly one such as yours that has gained a world wide acceptance.
Not in habit from my end to pay to have a manufacture sell "me" products.
Not saying what your doing is wrong, just don't like the approach, and you now have one less person that the suppliers can gain access too.
This is unfortunate, as you had a good business plan with the original concept.
ADRIAN
Re: Dont like your new "pay for view" concept
30 March '07 | 11:39am
Hi Mike,

Our plan from day 1 was to eventually charge for subscription. This has always been our plan for 2 reasons:

1) We want independancy of editorial - if you know anything about the industry, you will know the pressure on magazines to deliver what advertisers want to see. When was the last time you saw a magazine test slate a product?
2) We simply cant gain enough advertising revenue to support what we do without contribution from our subscribers.

Let me explain to you the resources it takes to run this magazine:

Myself - full time position
Louise - Editor, full time position
Web designer - full time position
Cameraman - paid to attend every PWA event, and other additional events and trips,edit the DVD and produce all the movies in the mag. Each movie take 2 hours per minute on average to edit, so with 60 minutes of movies in each mag. Thats 120 hours of editing for each issue (not including the Annual DVD).
Features editor - responsible for some content (part time position)

You claim to know the industry, so I am sure that you will be aware that manufacturers currently dont offer their pro sailors 'exposure contracts' for web coverage. This means that whilst the editor of a printed mag can sit behind a desk waiting for pro sailors (and manufacturers) to send them features, pictures etc (knowing that the manufacturers will pay for this content), websites have to go and find their own content and pay for it. For your info, this isnt cheap!

It may also occur to you that whilst editors of printed magazines sit in the office whilst major competitions happen, waiting for the event organiser to send them photos (free of charge) and pay a pro sailor ?50 per page to write the report, we personally attend every event and film every second of action. Any idea how much it costs to send a camerman to Cabo Verde for 2 weeks, all expenses paid + wage?!

You may also have noticed that whilst virtually every other website in the World provides the same/similar content, ours is different.....the reason for that is simple. We go out there and make our own videos and content, whilst other simply act as portals, copying videos from other sites and hosting them on their own.

Starting to get a picture of why it costs money to run a website/online magazine?

It is quite demoralising therefore to read your response, because you clearly have no comprehension of the ammount of work that goes into producing the magazine. Do you write similar e-mails to printed magazines complaining about why they are charging?

The content of your e-mail implies that either:

1) You think that we are being greedy by charging for the magazine, when we dont really need the money.
or
2) The advertisers should pay for the cost of the magazine.

Firstly, if you do the maths on how much it costs to employ the people that we do (I assume you dont think everybody should work for free?) and gain the content, then you will soon realise that we arent doing this for the money!

Secondly, if you think the advertisers should pay, then I would quite happily welcome you to sell advertising space for us for a month and see how you get on. You will find it very, very difficult. Unfortunately the windsurfing manufacturers are stuck in the dark ages and havent yet recognised the value of online advertising. Whilst a printed magazine will get up to ?20,000 per month in advertising revenue, I dont think you will find a windsurfing website in the world that gets more than 20% of that....and it isnt for want of trying!

Finally, the whole picture as you portray it, isnt quite as simple as 'one minute it is free, the next it isnt'. You may have noticed that we also added a really good DVD into the package? Everyone who has reviewed it has raved about it and everyone who pays the fairly modest subscription fee, gets a copy posted worl-wide to their doorstep. Or perhaps you imagine that we should also offer this for free as well?

I am sorry if my response comes across as a bit brutal, but we are absolutely working to the bone on this magazine (being launch week, I havent stopped work before 1:30am for the past 8 days) and it is very demoralising to hear someone like yourself accusing us of trying to rip people off. It is the very last thing we are trying to do.

We all love windsurfing and feel that we collectively are in a good position to produce a magazine that is unique. Unique in the content it delivers, unique in the presentation and delivery method and unique in having editorial independance (thanks to subscribers support).

If you value this, then perhaps you may reconsider your position on paying for the magazine. If you dont, then please feel free to carry on reading all the content and viewing all the pictures free of charge. After all, you will have to pay for that if you choose a printed mag.
Mike
30 March '07 | 12:25pm
Phewwww that was long winded justification if ever I read one. Stunning absolutly stunning:-)
Here is a far simpler way you can justify your answers to dopey boofs like me who challange you on you aproach.
Quote: Unfortunatly we have endevoured to continue with the standard aproach we have up until now, and our readers have shown that they are supporting the mag.
However, due to the finacial pressures within the group, we have elected to move to a new modified mode of the on line magazene. This may not apeal to every person, but to continue, we have no option to endevour to remove some of the expense from the workings to stay at a level the readers like. Thus the new format, that we believe most will like and support.
There are some fantastic new sections to our yearly subscriptions that our marketing analysis has shown that the readers are looking for.
mike
30 March '07 | 12:34pm
Bugger me I forgot to spell check, was all excited and hit the post message button. LMHO :-)
So here it is again, with the bits fixed

Phewwww that was long winded justification if ever I read one. Stunning absolutely stunning:-)
Here is a far simpler way you can justify your answers to dopey boofs like me who challenge you on you approach.
Quote: Unfortunately we have endeavoured to continue with the standard approach we have up until now, and our readers have shown that they are supporting the mag.
However, due to the financial pressures within the group, we have elected to move to a new modified mode of the on line magazine. This may not appeal to every person, but to continue, we have no option to endeavour to remove some of the expense from the workings to stay at a level the readers like. Thus the new format, that we believe most will like and support.
There are some fantastic new sections to our yearly subscriptions that our marketing analysis has shown that the readers are looking for. unquote

You get the idea I am sure.
Check my original, you being a fine chap, will I am sure pick up the light banter. :-)
And couldn't bring my self to pay. well not yet anyway. Like we always say, "never be first in line, let the bugs get ironed out first".wink wink.
So stop being a grumpy grump and get on with it :-)
ADRIAN
30 March '07 | 1:15pm
Thanks for the reply and appologies for the long justification! Just trying to be open about why we are charging, so that you (and other people who read the post with similar sentiments) can understand the problems that we face and the efforts we are making to produce the mag.

Whether you decide to pay or not, I hope that you are still able to enjoy the magazine and you can be assured that we will continue to do the very best job we can with the resources we have available!

Thanks again for your feedback.

Kind Regards,

Adrian
Albertas Agejevas
10 October '07 | 10:51pm
I used to be a regular reader of your mag while it was free. I think you guys found a really cool and novel medium, and used it well.

Probably I would have subscribed to keep on reading your mag if the difference between the DVD and no DVD subscription was a bit more substantial. I don't care for DVD and just want to read the mag. I'm not that interested in 60 mins of video footage every month, I'd just like to be able to see the 10 minutes that interest me or support the text I'm reading.

As for "text and pics are still free", I think this offering is just too degraded. Consider the fitness article illustrated solely with invisible videos, and not even a screenshot to illustrate the exercise being suggested, or an interview with a rider where the answers are available only on video, with no transcriptions. This just made me, a freeloader, feel unwelcome, whether this was your intention or not, and I stopped reading your mag regularly.

Please excuse my ego-centric rambling, I'm only posting this in hope that you'll be able to make use of my experiences.

Albertas
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Attachments:
  • Valid attachments: gif, jpg, jpeg, png
  • No file can be larger than 400 KB
  • 5 more file(s) can be attached to this message