Hello, welcome to Boardseeker Windsurfing Magazine please use the links below to jump to a specific section.

Navigation Search Content Other Mpora Sites

TRADITIONAL vs WIDE STYLE

Posted by BOARDSEEKER 
BOARDSEEKER
TRADITIONAL vs WIDE STYLE
12 April '06 | 6:06pm
So which is best?! Read Martin Francis's comparison on the Starboard EVO & ACID (http://www.boardseekermag.com/special_features/equipment/traditional_or_evolutionary_018.htm) and let us know your thoughts!

Are wide style boards really better in Euro-conditions?!
Ken Morton
Re: TRADITIONAL vs WIDE STYLE
12 April '06 | 11:35pm
Used to sail a 2002 JP wave 72 untill I broke it at Rhosneigr on a wild 3.7m day and was persuaded to buy a 2005 Evo 74. Very different style of board - did most things as well as the JP but not quite as exciting in perfect conditions or ultimate top speed but did lots of things better when the conditions were not ideal.
Then I managed to snap the Evo on a fairly ordinary 4.7m day. Because it was within the warrenty period photos were sent off to Starboard who eventually decided that it was clasic flat landing damage and wouldn't be warrentied ! No flat landings on the day, but it probably had a fair amount of rough work in the previous 11 months. Have to say at this point that Dave at Funsport Rhosneigr and the importers ( Tushingham ) were so surprised at Starboards attitude that they sold me a new board at cost so effectivly I lost no more than if I had sold the board as a used 1 year old board and bought a new one. Definatly something to bear in mind if you are going to buy from some place abroad on the internet - o.k. might save ? 50 but what price can you put on service like that !
Then the choice was between a 2006 Acid or Evo. The pure wave board was really apealing but after sailing the Evo for nearly 12 months it was a difficult choice. Eventually I decieded on a 2006 Evo but went for the 70l and have to say its just fantastic. Absolutly the best of both worlds - all the advantages of the wider shorter new wave boards in less than perfect conditions but can still outperform lots of classic wave boards in ideal conditions.
If you are thinking of one of the new style wave boards try one smaller than your traditional wave board.
Also have to say that while I was waiting for my new board I demoed the Angulo wave 75 several times and it is a really good traditional wave board - if I hadn't had the offer from Funsport/Tushingham I might well have been sailing one now.
Bill Short
13 April '06 | 12:00pm
In the stats box for the Evo and Acid, it should say that the upper sail size limit for the Evo 74 is 5.5m and not 6.5m as stated. I've had a 6m sail on mine but that's pushing it.
That's probably just a typo, right?
Liked the article though.
BOARDSEEKER
13 April '06 | 1:34pm
Hi Bill,

Yes that was our mistake. The sail range should be 3.5 - 5.5, for the Evo.

Fixed now and apologies!

Adrian
RobinHood
14 April '06 | 12:20pm
I prefer the widestyle board coz I am older and heavier, and the extra planing and flotation makes sailing so much easier, and I'm not good enough to need a board to crank tight into the wave.
ste
14 April '06 | 6:18pm
Whats the excepted model for vol or wideth to rider weight on the stubbies?

For example - 85kg = 75lt/56cm or 85lt/58cm??
24 May '06 | 5:46pm
Out of interest what do all the pro's on these forums use when in the UK, especially in less than perfect conditions?
25 May '06 | 12:25pm
Hi all it's Thorpy, not sure I'm a Pro, but here's my 2p..

After trying all the Tabou's 2yrs ago I much prefered the 'stubbies' and that's all I've used since, I love 'em.
even if it's proper big down the line stuff (yes I'm going back a bit here!) I prefer the pockets.

this year I've got a 70 (5m and below) and an 85 (5m and above), both are ace. (I'm 75kg)
Guess it's a personal thing tho, I like my boards fast and loose.

I know some of the Tabou riders use the traditional shapes and rave about them..

John skye
28 May '06 | 5:14am
Hi Guys,

I have been using stubby style boards for the last few years and love them, especially in less than ideal conditions. However I am really looking forward to getting the new 69 guerilla (out in July) as its a bit of a cross breed and works amazingly. it combines the short length and width of the stubby, but the tails comes in more like the traditional boards. The result is a board that is loose and snappy for onshore, but also can cope well with full on conditions and more drawn out turns. I only used the proto type but I think it could be the perfect solution!

As to the size of board question..... Alot depends on what size sail use want to use on it. I am 80 kg and for me the 78L x 56cm is the perfect size for 5.4, 5.0 and 4.7 (which for me are the most common sail sizes by far. it will take slightly bigger and smaller but those are the best sizes. If you are 85kg and want a board that will take a 5.8 comfortably you may need to move up to the 58 x 85 size of board. However if you are a 1 board man for all high wind sailing I would get the smaller size.

Cheers
John
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Attachments:
  • Valid attachments: gif, jpg, jpeg, png
  • No file can be larger than 400 KB
  • 5 more file(s) can be attached to this message