Hello, welcome to Boardseeker Windsurfing Magazine please use the links below to jump to a specific section.

Navigation Search Content Other Mpora Sites

Where's good in Jan

Posted by Mike 
Mike
Where's good in Jan
18 July '07 | 10:51pm
Hi,

I've been windsurfing for a few months and I'm totally addicted!!! Finally cracked the water start and I'm getting into the harness and straps - working on staying upwind now, to save on those long walks back to my launch area.

Going to Hurghada in September where I hope to crack the gybe.

Also looking to do a whole month away in Jan and looking for some suggestions.

Good wind

Mike
Mike Paterson
Re: Where's good in Jan
19 July '07 | 9:34am
Langebaan outside Cape Town www.capesports.co.za for reliable winds and flat water and is a great place to stay / chill out. It is also 1 hour 15 from Cape Town and this is a great city for food, partying, amazing looking women plus there are flat water places to sail near the town - Milnerton Lake being one of them for beginners. Cape Town can be VERY windy but you will learn lots and you can get inspired by the wave sailers at Sunset Beach etc or take on the might of the waves if feeling brave. Flyglobespan have reasonable flights from Manchester plus major carriers and cost of living is at least half of UK. Good luck and glad you are loving windsurfing - great sport.
Mike
21 July '07 | 5:47pm
Thanks Mike,

I was looking into South Africa, but I'm a bit paraniod about all the sharks out there.

Are these fears justified or am I just being a pussy?

Mike
Mike Paterson
23 July '07 | 10:11am
Langebaan is an estuary and has no sharks(so they say) there is a bay called shark bay that has sand sharks but these look like haddock so you will be ok. Have seen a few sharks out in the bigger wave beaches but they are not interested in windsurfers and there are usually hundreds of kiters and windsurfers out so reduces your chances. One thing I find is that it makes you waterstart faster. To be honest when you get there and see the conditions you are so excited that the shark thing doesn't really come into it. Also no sharks in the Lake smiling smiley You will be fine just be sensible ie dont go out with blood dripping from the toe you stubbed etc - it is a wicked place, I really mean that. You can stay in beach cabanas at Langebaan or rent a house or alternatively if you want to enjoy the city (and its good) stay in Sunset Beach or Blouberg and its about an hour 10 to langebaan and about 5 mins to the lake.
the man
8 August '07 | 11:00pm
There's only one way to go in January, south!!!

Cape Town has it all......

talk to some of the pro's who go there a lot if you want to know more.....?

i think chris audsley, john hibbard, ben proffitt and phil horrocks have been there quite a lot.....

or even Jem Hall....

if you have to!!!

ha ha ha sorry jem.... he's a legend really!!!!!
reef retreat
9 September '07 | 12:43pm
If you fancy a longer haul trip as you have a month, consider Boracay Island in the Philippines,January is smack in the middle of our wind season!! you may pay more for a flight but save on living expenses (bottle of beer around 30pence!!!!)
Ive just put a new thread up so have a look and if you want more info or photos etc then email us - reef.retreat@hotmail.com

good luck wherever you choose
antony
15 September '07 | 12:15pm
Langebaan has to be the spot, flat water, good winds, an overnight flight and on the water the next day, criuzin ! Contact caroline@capesport.co.za as she has accommodation right next to the rental center so you do not need to drive back & forth. The German Surf Magazine goes there every year for their " mega test " ( their 11th year now )so it is surely windy.

See you in Langebaan
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Attachments:
  • Valid attachments: gif, jpg, jpeg, png
  • No file can be larger than 400 KB
  • 5 more file(s) can be attached to this message