Hello, welcome to Boardseeker Windsurfing Magazine please use the links below to jump to a specific section.

Navigation Search Content Other Mpora Sites

LEARNING TO FLAKA

Posted by BOARDSEEKER 
BOARDSEEKER
LEARNING TO FLAKA
15 March '06 | 5:28pm
Inspired by Clyde Waites latest feature on learning to flaka? [www.boardseekermag.com]

Do you think freestyle is for teenagers only?

If you want to chat to Clyde about how he learned the move or have your own thoughts on freestyle then lets hear from you!
arnout ter chuer, SWE-106
Re: LEARNING TO FLAKA
15 March '06 | 7:15pm
great article. Freestyle rocks, even for older guys. I am 32 soon and go for it. Everything is possible, especially if I see 70 yr olds riding mast high waves. Freestyle is FUN and for everybody, at all levels. You don't have to be able to do a clew-first switch one-handed spock, flaka or whatever to have FUN in freestyle.

My buddy Rich Wilde is 36 and ripping like never before. Who said freestyle is for kids? They actually lack the power, we matures have. Only plus of being young: you learn faster.

Check out our website: www.pappasrock.com to experience what you can do when your having kids, are >30yrs, have a 9-5job.
Yeomans
15 March '06 | 9:20pm
hi there, do you think the flaka is the easyest freestyle trick to strat learning. Im trying vulcans at the moment is that a good place to start?

ta
Yeomans
Clyde
16 March '06 | 9:53am
I would say that Vulcan is key to learning aerial freestyle, it is the move that gets you to learn how to pop and then get used to sliding around on the nose.

The Flaka might be easier than the spock as there are no hand changes, but the real difficulty is popping and getting over the kit, Go for both though, so you dont get tired of trying the other. Make sure you learn upwind 360's really well too, as they are a great way to learn how to control the power of the sail when you are on the wrong side. If you break a lot of freestyle moves down, they end up in a sort of fast ending of an upwind 360.

alex
20 March '06 | 1:51pm
I agree totally with the "former" dutch dude - Arnout. I'm 31 and was almost giving up with windsurfing because I was trying to get into formula and it was just getting into my nerves... During a vacation an old freind of mine offered me a ride on his freestyle equipment and I was sold. Now freestyle is all i do especially here in denmark where mostly we have like 15-20knot.

The flaka took me also a long time to learn and I still have problems sometimes but who cares. This is what freestyle is all about - trying to learn new stuff all the time and getting a beating once in a while.

By the way Arnout greating from Vincent. G-hammer rocks when the northeast winds start pounding - we got 2 great days there last year - still in shockwinking smiley Hope that your having fun over therewinking smiley

Cheers, alex

John
22 March '06 | 12:25am
I think that those who knock freestyle just don't have the balls or skills to try it. Freestyle is the best means to improve all round sailing and is spectucular to watch. Deep down everyone secretly wishes they could pull a flaka or a spock.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Attachments:
  • Valid attachments: gif, jpg, jpeg, png
  • No file can be larger than 400 KB
  • 5 more file(s) can be attached to this message