Hello, welcome to Boardseeker Windsurfing Magazine please use the links below to jump to a specific section.

Navigation Search Content Other Mpora Sites

MPORA sucks!

Posted by Jan 
Jan
MPORA sucks!
10 March '11 | 5:32pm
This topic will probably be banned but I don't care.

I want to say loudly what many of us already feel- MPORA sucks.

Everytime I watch a short movie on that site these f*cki*g adverts piss me off seriously!

I feel like watching adverts with movie instead of movie with advert. That's horrible!
Re: MPORA sucks!
11 March '11 | 9:04am
Calm down!

If they bother you so much then use one of these [addons.mozilla.org]
will simply remove the ad content from whichever site you like. Although on some sites it can remove a fair bit more so they look pretty sparse, but the videos will be clean.

No doubt someone will point out the trade off for all that video content which has to be hosted and funded by someone...
aol user
11 March '11 | 10:21am
My ISP has such strong blocks that i cant even look at the vids of mpora - they are probably just a bunch of teemagers promoting their sponsors anyway so who cares :-)

Wicked day yesterday !
Emile
11 March '11 | 12:21pm
Hi,

The ads can be removed from the video by clicking the little x.

While I appreciate that you don't really want them there, I am sure you can appreciate that streaming media all day to thousands of users on the internet is a fairly expensive business and the ads pay the bills...

Would you rather a paid for service?

Cheers

Emile
Jan
13 March '11 | 7:31pm
these adds can be in other place, even next to the video screen. What's really annoying is that when You want to share these videos on Your site and You want it clean without any add ons it's sometimes impossible because some videos are not available on vimeo and linking mpora to Your blog makes it look messy because of the adds...

What would be the problem to remove the adds when the video is linked to some blog or forum. Everyone see's that it's on mpora anyway so everyone can see the source and open the movie on mpora site also.
Yeah- I know that noone would do that knowing that the adds will open and that's where the dog is burried as they say in my country...
Jan
13 March '11 | 7:34pm
if it comes to "little x"- i know that I can remove the add clicking it but first - it doesn't dissapear fully and second (the most frustrating) it's really pising off when You're focused on watching great action and e.g. in the middle of a massive and stylish cutback something pops up making You lose Your concentration.
Agreed
13 March '11 | 7:57pm
Youtube puts a single transparent ad in. Mpora starts with an ad, pops one in the middle and ends with one. On top of that, my machineisn't very powerful and when the middle one pops up, it makes the video/sound judder. Drives me mental, and I'm already a subscriber!
gc
14 March '11 | 2:08pm
totally in agreement, and the mpora videos take soooo much longer to load than youtube, and are typically the poorest quality resolution out of the main players, especially when there is vimeo ... which has minimal advertising, tasty resolution and quality and resonable loading speeds. If MPORA need alll these adverts to make money, why dont they step out of the online video hosting game and embed videos on their sites from capable companies like vimeo.

Another issue with MPORA vids is that when they load, and you play them... if you let them play all the way until the end you have to re-load the entire video to re-watch it!... on youtube you can navigate away from the page and come back several minutes later and the content is still loaded! On vimeo you can re-watch as many times as you like without having to worry about stopping the video just before the end and returning to the begining.

Whats more the Mpora-related sites are hideously over populated with advertising... checkout boards.co.uk ... the minute you land on the site, about a third of the page is advertising, and if you accidenatlly move your cursor over any of these adverts they double or triple in size... i dont use the advert blocking software mentioned above because i am never normally bothered... but MPORA really tests my patience sometimes, i dont even bother watching mpora videos any more... not worth it (ive kept this up for over a month now) and it does mean missing some decent content from alot of the UK boys who have somehow been sucked into using it thru connections with boards magazine, boardseeker, etc... and the massive view counts, which logic dictates cannot be an accurate representation of actual views... and must be based either on impressions... or numbers they make up.

Im not sure how MPORA has grown to the size it has, based on anything ive seen in their windsurfing market entry, it must be through using heavy weight financials probably gleamed from other industries, to bind market players into using their services exclusively... its got to the point where boards.co.uk copy your video from youtube, upload it to MPORA, publish it on their site and THEN track you down to tell you that they have done so, as if the massive amounts of ´help´ that has generated for your windsurfing career is enough for them to presume copyright violation is ok... not that im in a position to complain about copyright violation!

dont get me started on their newsletters!

I suppose it just annoys me that these guys get away with being so crap; im generally not an angry person... but MPORA have been annoying me for some time
aoluser
14 March '11 | 8:13pm
it's still rubbish - i can see the text and no videos - actually im not that bothered so im off to read my paper windsurf mag in the bog while i have a poo and then ill ring my windsurfing mates and have a chat - best get a life and get off here then :-)
windsurfer
14 March '11 | 8:54pm
I'm not worried about the adverts, in fact I think it is good that these big companies want to advertise in the windsurfing market. But I get frustrated by how slow the streaming is compared to other video players. It's not something I have the patience for. I love watching the videos, but when they keep stalling to stream, I tend to switch off them which is a shame when they have proabably taken so long to make.
Jan
15 March '11 | 8:12am
aoluser Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> it's still rubbish - i can see the text and no
> videos - actually im not that bothered so im off
> to read my paper windsurf mag in the bog while i
> have a poo and then ill ring my windsurfing mates
> and have a chat - best get a life and get off here
> then :-)

Some of us work in the industry and one of our tools are videos...
Jan
15 March '11 | 8:15am
windsurfer Wrote:
> I'm not worried about the adverts, in fact I think
> it is good that these big companies want to
> advertise in the windsurfing market. But I get
> frustrated by how slow the streaming is compared
> to other video players. It's not something I have
> the patience for. I love watching the videos, but
> when they keep stalling to stream, I tend to
> switch off them which is a shame when they have
> proabably taken so long to make.

Do You really think that they advertise because of WS?

I doubt it, they surely advertise because of bmx, skateboarding, snowboarding and kite which have been proven to be better advertising ground. Windsurfing just comes as a part of the package...
Ken D
15 March '11 | 7:56pm
if you don't like it, dont watch it

could reduce your stress levels
Jan
16 March '11 | 10:02am
Ken D Wrote:
> if you don't like it, dont watch it
>
> could reduce your stress levels

Do You understand what You read? Work of some of us REQUIRES using videos and some videos are put ONLY on mpora. Part of my work for example is updating the blog and sometimes i HAVE to use these mpora videos linking them on he blog. Clear enough now?

Sure it's easier to say something quite stupid like "air's dirty?- don't breath" but it's NOT the case here...
terry
16 March '11 | 4:03pm
I think it sucks. The mag looks dog crap and the only part of the videos that actually load are the bloody ads. Load of rubbish. I used to like b-seeker and loved that there was no bull.. Boards mag always used to be a bit bull but now it's spread. Sort it out guys.
18 March '11 | 6:07pm
Good grief! Never heard so much whining about fuck-all. Instead of sitting helplessly behind your screens weeping tears of frustration take control of your dreary digital lives and spend two minutes sorting it out.

Advertising may be a fact of internet life, but that doesn;t mean we have to be slaves to it. As suggested above, get a grip and install an ad blocker. I use Ad Block Plus (free plugi-in for Firefox and other browsers), so not only do I not get any annoying pop-ups, but Mpora videos load instantly with zero interference from ads.

Check it out (Firfox link): [addons.mozilla.org]
steve
27 April '11 | 10:00am
Why is MPORA so freakin slow to load?? i go on a million websites with videos and they stream, piece of cake..
MPORA seems to start, stutter, jerk it's way along until i get so bored of waiting that i go click on something else?

GARBAGE!!!!

Sort it out!!!!

It can't be that hard?

as for the ads... don't get me started, i think the bbc site is starting to piss me off now as well... they've gone ad crazy too, i suppose their ads generate some income to provide unbiased independent reporting, and MPORA's is too.... oh wait, it's just regurgitated loblocks that they can't stream as good as it was when it was original content elsewhere on the web...

rant over...

i only wanted to watch the taranaki vid.... now look what you've done, turned me into a angry forumite.... well at least it might have loaded by the time i go back.... oh no that's right i forgot, when i go bak it has to load it all again...

mPOORa
Jdiddly
20 May '11 | 12:53pm
I have to agree with the OP, mpora is slow, horrible to navigate and while I appreciate companies using advertising to generate revenue, I don't want to watch a 30 second advert every time I watch a windsurfing video!

Use Vimeo, it's better quality and no adverts!
Adam Sims
20 May '11 | 4:06pm
@ AOLUSER

one of those 'teemagers' (well not quite a teenager but still) promoting my sponsors who help me do what I love doing...windsurfing! I put my vids on mpora because I've tried Vimeo and Youtube and you just don't get the same amount of hits. I've not noticed mpora being any slower, yes the ads are a little annoying but its really not hard to click the little x on the video.......... less stress then actually spending the days/weeks/months and money producing the videos....

Here's a nice promotional trailer on mpora for you to all enjoy: [video.mpora.com]
Al Bentley
21 May '11 | 3:00am
jesus guys get a life, I can't believe how angry people are about something so minor

the windsurfing industry, and the media around it need all the help then can get. Even if the ads are only bringing in a small amount of revenue its better than nothing, most of the ads are targeted at extreme sports in general so I doubt they care if its a skateboarder or windsurfer who watches them.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Attachments:
  • Valid attachments: gif, jpg, jpeg, png
  • No file can be larger than 400 KB
  • 5 more file(s) can be attached to this message