Hello, welcome to Boardseeker Windsurfing Magazine please use the links below to jump to a specific section.

Navigation Search Content Other Mpora Sites

FLAKA or TAKA

Posted by Boardseeker 
Boardseeker
FLAKA or TAKA
12 September '06 | 8:56pm
So is it a Flaka or Taka? Views please...
like the move
Re: FLAKA or TAKA
12 September '06 | 9:08pm
Im not expert, and firstly let me say it looks cool whatever you call it.
But to me it looks like clewfirst, switch flaka, particularly as he is sailing straight towards the lip, no carving involved, which is what the taka is (admittedly in cross-shore)?
graham Woods
12 September '06 | 9:37pm
This is definatly a tricky one but a taka to my knowledge is where you bottom turn into a lip and do a normal cutback but then slide the tail out in a flaka no jump involved unless doing a air taka to me it looks like a cross between a taka and a switch puneta off the lip but ill give it to bubbles as a new style of taka as all moves change with style. It is good to see him doing some wavesailing though rather than all the freestyle.

GMAN
Fin
13 September '06 | 6:31am
Hmm, its hard to say as we dont see the move enough before he starts. Has he come from the top of the wave into a bottom turn? Rhosneigr is very cross onshore..

But what is a real Taka? I think we rarely ever see one! Isnt a real Taka an aerial off a lip, with height, where the board spins into wind getting most of the rotation before the nose bites into a wave. This one has good height, better than a lot of Taka's you see, but the entry is too clew first rather than a lip smack and carried my momentum. Still Freestyle moves look better when there is a bit of a wave involved.
Toasty
13 September '06 | 12:28pm
Flaka, simple as that.
Start doing them while hitting a real wave and using the wave, only then you can call it a taka or air taka. It's the best way of learing them as you got to start small to do them big. Untill then keep playing around in the 'skate park' untill you are ready to bust the real ones.
Toasty
Ads
13 September '06 | 3:16pm
Lookslikes theres is to much clew-first in it for me. So therefore I would have to call it a clew-first puneata off the lip becuase if you look at the actual jump its a downwind roattion, rather than an upwind rotation which a flaka is.
hunty
13 September '06 | 9:43pm
It's a flaka!!
Chris
13 September '06 | 10:06pm
I see no wave...
fisheye
14 September '06 | 1:10pm
i do see a little one hand off claim at the end though, he's so happy......
Piebag
14 September '06 | 5:09pm
don't think i'ts a flaka or a taka as the board rotates downwind
ice
14 September '06 | 8:05pm
it looks more like a switch, clew first spock 540, its definetly not a flaka as he is jumping the back of the board up underneath him as in a spock, in a flaka u jump the other way, downwind!!! switch stance clew first spock 540 off a small wave it is!!!
bodah
15 September '06 | 1:03am
He's gone downwind to much to call it a flaka or a taka, he went thru the eye of the wind and is now sailing clew-first switch stance. No matter if he carved his turn before, he's approaching the wave in a straight line, he?s not really riding it now. I?d say it?s a clew-first puneta 540, witch is the same as a clew-first switch stance spock 540. Still a very cool move, landing it back into the wave like that!
bodah
15 September '06 | 1:12am
By the way, can we do this for the ?upwind wave 360? and ?shaka re-entry?? Take Kauli?s ones on Pozo this year. Lets say Dunkerbeck makes upwind wave 360?s and Brawzhinio makes shaka re-entry?s. What Kauli does is somewhere in the middle, what do you think?
Boardseeker
15 September '06 | 6:53am
This is the link to the special feature. Watch the kauli clip and decide

[www.boardseekermag.com]
nico
15 September '06 | 12:09pm
This is an air puneta clew first in a wave
Seany
15 September '06 | 2:05pm
Hi Bubble,

Flaka, taka. Dosn't mata!!! Still rad manouver!! Back onto the wave face counts. Lets see you after cape town on a mast high one!! NO BOTHER!!!!!!!

Good one mate, Seany.
zeebara
18 September '06 | 1:21pm
shure it is switch clew first spock!!! but looks cool
greg
18 September '06 | 8:15pm
id say its a switch stance clew first taka 540!bt tis vry cool even if it isnt
adde
19 September '06 | 6:57am
Well a taka is a "frontide cutback into upwind 360) and flaka is a FL(at water t)AKA. Thus any name with flaka should, by definition, be invalid.

Is it a wave or a freestyle move? I'd say it is a wave move and probably "Air Taka" is the best description or maybe even a "McTwist"?

If it was to be considered a freestyle move it would be a clew first puneta (540).

cheers
/adde
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Attachments:
  • Valid attachments: gif, jpg, jpeg, png
  • No file can be larger than 400 KB
  • 5 more file(s) can be attached to this message