Hello, welcome to Boardseeker Windsurfing Magazine please use the links below to jump to a specific section.

Navigation Search Content Other Mpora Sites
Bill
RRD v Evo
12 September '08 | 9:05pm
How would the RRD twin fin compare to a single fin board like the Evo for onshore wave riding ?

What is the maximum weight of rider that the RRD twin fin 82 litre would perform for ?
A Clone
Re: RRD v Evo
13 September '08 | 11:15am
Its difficult for us to guess how the RRD would perform against a board such as the Evo. Overall in bigger sizes, the twins do seem to offer more speed in turns and a looser ride and the RRD is very impressive at both. We think that the bigger the board, the more apparent the advantages are of choosing a twin for waveriding.

In smaller sizes (we are testing the Evo in our 75 wave board test at the moment), where single fins are pretty loose anyway, its perhaps fair to say that the twins seem to offer a different sensation and style of riding (excellent top turn) rather than a real advantage.
Bill
13 September '08 | 12:18pm
Thanks for the quick reply.

I am looking for a new wave board for cross onshore using sails 4.2, 4.7, 5.3. and body weight 89 Kg to 95 kg.

The question I am wrestling with is do I go for a single fin Evo 80 or RRD twinzer 82 ?
mack
13 September '08 | 5:10pm
Im thinking of the quatro or the mistral.
Is it worth going for the quatro just for the special 10 or so big days a year an make do for the other 80 sessions in 3 to 6 foot?
griff
13 September '08 | 10:05pm
rrd is great with 4.7 and 5.3, how is it with 5.6 and 4.2 for a 82kg's sailor?

looks great for a one board solution, 82 liters with the float benefits and ripping like a 75 liter ;-)
Phil
14 September '08 | 4:29pm
Why does no magazine ever cater for smaller windsurfers, I am about 65kg and there has never been a test I've seen for a sub 70l wave board which would be suitable for someone of my weight. Will you be testing any of the smaller models this year?
Doby
14 September '08 | 7:14pm
Phil Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why does no magazine ever cater for smaller
> windsurfers, I am about 65kg and there has never
> been a test I've seen for a sub 70l wave board
> which would be suitable for someone of my weight.
> Will you be testing any of the smaller models this
> year?

Why does no magazine ever cater for bigger windsurfers, I am about 95kg and there has never been a test I've seen for a 90-95l wave board which would be suitable for someone of my weight. Will you be testing any of the bigger models this year?
A Clone
15 September '08 | 9:20am
Bill Wrote:
> Thanks for the quick reply.
>
> I am looking for a new wave board for cross
> onshore using sails 4.2, 4.7, 5.3. and body weight
> 89 Kg to 95 kg.
>
> The question I am wrestling with is do I go for a
> single fin Evo 80 or RRD twinzer 82 ?

We havent sailed the Evo 80 yet (only the 75) so cant really speculate which is best. However we can say that you are unlikely to be disappointing by the RRD. You have almost 10 kilos on most of our testers, so whilst we found the RRD starting to feel a bit big in 4.7 weather, you may be able to get away with 4.2 on it. At the end of the day, you can use any size of sail (3.5 if you want to!), but it depends how comfortable you want to feel on it. In an ideal world, we wouldnt go smaller than 4.7, you may get to 4.2 by being a bit heavier....

Jem Hall (our technique editor) is your weight and has just got the 82 RRD so it may be worth speaking to him. You can reach him through his website www.jemhall.com.

Good luck!
A Clone
15 September '08 | 9:27am
mack Wrote:
> Im thinking of the quatro or the mistral.
> Is it worth going for the quatro just for the
> special 10 or so big days a year an make do for
> the other 80 sessions in 3 to 6 foot?

Both the boards will work great in cross shore conditions. They both have a different feel to them and its hard for us to say which you will like the best. We have tried to define the feel as best as we can within the test reports, beyond that you probably need to try them to make your own mind up. Both are very impressive. Funsport in North Wales has 3 of the twin fins in stock from the test, so maybe you can try them?
A Clone
15 September '08 | 9:32am
griff Wrote:
> rrd is great with 4.7 and 5.3, how is it with 5.6
> and 4.2 for a 82kg's sailor?
>
> looks great for a one board solution, 82 liters
> with the float benefits and ripping like a 75
> liter ;-)

Like I mentioned above, you can use the RRD with 4.2 and even smaller - when we say 4.7, this is the ideal smallest sail, beyond this, you would probably prefer a smaller board if you have the luxury of owning one. 4.2 will work fine if waves are clean and you aren't overpowered.

5.6m will be easy. We only had one afternoon on 5.6's, but the board floated and handled it with ease.
A Clone
15 September '08 | 9:42am
Phil Wrote:
> Why does no magazine ever cater for smaller
> windsurfers, I am about 65kg and there has never
> been a test I've seen for a sub 70l wave board
> Will you be testing any of the smaller models this
> year?

We are nearly finished a 75 litre test. We have no plans to test smaller than this at the moment. Basically, the market for sub-70 litre boards is very small and the amount of money, time and effort (not mentioning the conditions that would be required) that goes into making a test happen make this unviable.

Sorry that its probably not the answer you were looking for........
A Clone
15 September '08 | 9:48am
Doby Wrote:
> Phil Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Why does no magazine ever cater for smaller
> > windsurfers, I am about 65kg and there has
> never
> > been a test I've seen for a sub 70l wave board
> > which would be suitable for someone of my
> weight.
> > Will you be testing any of the smaller models
> this
> > year?
>
> Why does no magazine ever cater for bigger
> windsurfers, I am about 95kg and there has never
> been a test I've seen for a 90-95l wave board
> Will you be testing any of the bigger models this
> year?

Another good point! Firstly, from our experience, a good board for an 80kg sailor is usually a good board for someone at least 10kg's either side of that weight. A heavier sailor will just be using it in stronger winds and a lighter sailor in lighter winds. Its rare that we have found a board that performance is radically different on because someone is 10kg's or so heavier or lighter.

However, we are hoping to do a test on bigger 90ish litre Twin Fins later this year...we are feeding the Clones up in anticipation....
Phil
15 September '08 | 10:19am
Fair point, and I kind of knew wht the answer would be anyway. Why not starve the clones or get testers at a range of weights to test the boards you do test?
A Clone
15 September '08 | 10:44am
Phil Wrote:
> Fair point, and I kind of knew what the answer
> would be anyway. Why not starve the clones or get
> testers at a range of weights to test the boards
> you do test?

The majority of our testing (so far) is done with 2-3 main Clones. However we do get days where we let members of the public (and other people we know) to try the equipment and let us know their thoughts.

We did have a 95kg person on the twins and also a 60kg girl, but as their conclusions weren't massively different to the main testers (and its hard to mention every preference of every rider who tries the kit) then we generally didn't make comment within the test.

As mentioned above we are finding that a characteristic of a board remains similar for most people within a reasonable weight range. They may use it in slightly different wind strengths because of their weight, but the characteristics of that board usually remain similar.
Steve
16 September '08 | 7:46am
A Clone Wrote:
> However, we are hoping to do a test on bigger
> 90ish litre Twin Fins later this year...we are
> feeding the Clones up in anticipation....

Jem Hall has been riding the RRD Twinfin 90 for sometime now and weighs about 90kgs so he could offer feedback for bigger riders/boards and can be contacted via his website.
Jem hall
19 September '08 | 7:15pm
i have been riding the twin fin 90 alot and use it for 4.7 to 5.8 and the top end is excellent for such a big board but NOW I HAVE THE 82 TWIN of much joy this will be my 4.0 to 5.2 well powered board the Twin 90 will cross over on the more marginal / softer wave days.

I have been told by Skyeboy and clones that the twin 82 will do me no worries on a 4.0.

Off to Ireland on thurs / fri so more info on the twin 82 when i get some time on it.

The twins are excellent weight carriers and so loose and versatile for their size. With their mast track / nose width they also make tacking and freestyle easier to add some cross over appeal ..

go twin - twice as much fun
: - )
Sam K766
20 September '08 | 6:52pm
In responce to the lighter sailor issue i have been sailing the 69l mistral boards for 2 years and have found them better than other brands because mistral do a lot of testing with this size where as some other brands just size down form there 76l..
the man
8 June '09 | 12:11pm
Hello Clone, a question from the Netherlands.
I`m a sailor and weighing around 98 kg`s.
I have a Fanatic all Wave 80 liters for the 4.2 4.7 days.
A Starboard Evo 2006 91 liters for the 4.7 -5.4 days
And a 110 RRD FSW 2007 for the 5.4- 5.8- 6.6 days
I sail with the new Point 7 Sado (power wave) 4.2 till 6.6.
I want to change the Evo for a 90 liters RRD Twin Fin 90 liters and what i see by the answers on this forum, these liters are correct?
I want quick acceleration to get trough the waves and skate style while wave riding.
The wind in Holland is almost side on-shore.
I know that you dint test these boards yet, but if you see this equipment and my weight can you Giff me any tips?
I sail only at sea (from age 9) in the waves, i`m more a high fly-er and waver than a looper (38 years ;-))
Greets the Man

Jem Hall
8 June '09 | 2:51pm
The twin fin 90 rocks for me at 92 kilos and it is one of my favourite boards of all time. I use it from 5.8 to 4.7 from side off light wind to side on and most winds.
Put your fins at the front and front straps at the front. You can try upsizing the fins for lighter winds or more onshore conditions to levi siver 17 to 16.5cms, but the fins that come with the board still work well when powered up.

Enjoy the 90 twin mate and i suggest you consider the 08 - 09 RRD fsw in 110 as an update as it is way better than your '07 - looser, faster and more pop.

Off to rhodes on wednesday coaching so cant really keep full track of this thread but when i can i will. The turns you make on a twin in euro conditions and smaller fast waves will blow you away and will seriously stoke up your riding enthusiasm.

jemhall.com : - )
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Attachments:
  • Valid attachments: gif, jpg, jpeg, png
  • No file can be larger than 400 KB
  • 5 more file(s) can be attached to this message