Hello, welcome to Boardseeker Windsurfing Magazine please use the links below to jump to a specific section.

Navigation Search Content Other Mpora Sites

twinser mistral 84

Posted by alberto 
alberto
twinser mistral 84
8 November '08 | 11:32am
Hi, (sorry for my english)

I reed your superb test of a twinser board.
I think the twinser are most important in the light condition and little to medium wave side or side on ... and your test is perfect for me.
I find a board for really light wind and medium wave ... After reed your test I think to buy a mistral 84, but I hope that you are write is true, becouse I always ASK a board like this...
I 75 kg for 1,85cm and I love only surf the wave jump is not important and I use many time 5.4 and 5.0 sometime 5.8 underpowrred (wave side side/on), under the 5.0 I use a custom 70lt. 53cm

by and congratulation for the idea of test of 80-85 twinser.

waiting for condition to trye (sardegna next week or carro) the new mistral I waiting for your answer....
by
alberto
Re: twinser mistral 84
9 November '08 | 10:38am
Man I live near Carro, in Marseille infact, and i tried my new M? Twinzer 84 last week at Fos (carro was too big for a new board)in sideon (cross on) conditions and it's the most amazing board i've ever sailed! I was on 4.5 & i'm 88kg....how fast it plannes is incredible, the surf is magic.

For the Boardseeker men, you're really the best. The test seems to be very good. You give some help to tune the board (position of the mast track, fins...etc...)...& only the fact to put all that on the internet is so good, because you're the only one worldwide to do that...
We don't have to find the right mag of the right month to see what we want to buy a board!

& Alberto, if you want, maybe tomorrow in carro or tuesday there will be some conditions, or thursday i think it will be good!

Just two question for the boardseeker guys : -How does the mistral works with mfc fins (i saw you tried all boards with mfc fins....no?
-why did you put a medium/high level for "get up & go" to the mistral? I sailed it in sideon & on & found it better than my single board, & a lot of board i've sailed. I'd put a high level mark.
alberto
9 November '08 | 1:45pm
thank.....
I watch the forecast and I hope went at carro thus. and friday next week....
Sorry but with light condition you have to try the board?
By, see you at spot (work if ok???)
alberto
greg
9 November '08 | 10:14pm
Hi ,

Really exiting that you are looking forward to sailing mtwin84. I have had mine out a couple of times already after reading the test I bought one. Not Cheap but I got a good deal. fantastic for jumping, riding and feels really good underfoot. Nice and planted in chop. I think there get up and go mark is prob spot on though, Its a bit less than evo 80?
watch that short nose though, hard to tack.
buy one and rip
g
A Clone
9 November '08 | 11:05pm
Thanks for the great feedback on the test!

Alberto - I think you will love the Mistral. Give it a little time to get used to the shorter length, but its a great choice and for sure you will be more than happy with it.

The Fock - We actually didnt try MFC fins in the Mistral as we felt no need to. Because of time constraints, we tend only to try different fins in the test boards if we find a weakness that we think a different set of fins will fix eg. it doesnt plane early enough etc. The Mistral fins seemed to work great in a wide range of conditions. After speaking to Nik Baker, he mentioned that the fin match to board style is very critical with twin fins (more so than with single fins), so if you are thinking of changing the fins, I would try the new fins first before you decide to buy them just in case they dont work so well. Another thing Nik mentioned (which we didnt have time to try) was setting the fins asymmetrically. Staggering the fins by a cm or so could help give you a more drawn out predictable bottom turn and a snappier top turn - toe side fin should be 1 or 2 cm further back then heelside. Something interesting to try perhaps!

We mark all the scores relative to the other boards in the group eg. the best board in the group will score full points. Whilst the Mistral has excellent 'get up and go' as the graph illustrates, the Fanatic and JP were a little better. As you mention though, no-one should be put off as the Mistral is still very good.
alberto
12 November '08 | 5:15pm
Hi
today Itry my new board (mistral twin 84)
incredible, light wind 5-6 m/s (wery light and 5.4) but with 1-1.5 mt wave side side/on ....
I think mark nelson forgot the nose... because when no plane is wery difficult just go.... but I haven't many problem to passed the wave and shore break, when jibe is difficult always for the NOnoseeeee but to do!
ok I cacth my first wave with the mistral and it planed without wind, incredible and I can botton/cat back in no wind, incredible!

I hope with the right wind for the 5.4/5.8 is planed also in straight

by
alberto
(sorry for my english)
alberto
24 November '08 | 12:42pm
finally today I use my new mistral in true wave condition (beach break) (work work work....)
After same session but the board still yet difficult to pass the shore break because the nose is little!!! but when planing is fantastic and for jumping too....
come back cacth the wave (2-3 mt true wind side off 5.0 sail) is very very good like a small board espacially in cut back!!!
today I use always the 5.0 overpowed then underpowred!!!! still in surfing GOOOOOOOOOD

by
alberto
alberto
29 November '08 | 2:10pm
hi

for the clones, yesterday I try the new my mistrallllllll 84 in big condition (for me BIG...)
the board is fantastic with the 5.0 great!!!!

but I understud that the fin setting asimmetrical...
which fin put back ??? up wind or down wind???

(sorry sorry sorry for my english....)

by
alberto

30 November '08 | 7:38am
back is the fin wich is inside in the bottom et front is the fin wich does the cut back.
A Clone
30 November '08 | 9:25am
The Fock is correct. The fin on your toe-side (ie most in the water when bottom turning) should be the furthest back and the fin on the heelside (ie most in the water when top turning) should be the furthest forward. This should help to keep the top turn loose, but give a slightly more predictable, drawn out bottom turn.

You should experiment with how far you take this. If you spread them too much, it will not work.

Good luck and let us know how you get on with it!
fock
30 November '08 | 5:04pm
So cool

alberto
30 November '08 | 9:02pm
thank a lot, I thought it, but ask is better....

for fock, good pic.. where was you, carro?
unfortunatly (work...) I can't go again in france in this period.

bye

alberto
fock
7 December '08 | 11:01am
I was in six fours, brutal beach. I prefer La Coudouli?re but this day it was great in Brutal!
alberto
16 December '08 | 6:38pm
fock
I hope thun. and frid. went at carro, I hope is NOT too cold.
see you

alberto
ALBERTO
16 December '08 | 9:36pm
I use my new mistral 84 10 time in one month (in toscany 10 session with the wave/1 month is incredible). I think is the better board for the our condition, I use the board with 10 to 30kn always great!!! BIg wave side, ideal wave 2-3mt side and side off and the last n shore with the 5.4 underpowred.... the board is incredible!

Now I want to try the RRD twin90 and quatro for understand if I like the twinzer or if only the mistral is great for me???

by
alberto

17 December '08 | 6:01pm
I don't know you'll find waves in Carro 'cause the wind is very north (sideoff but it needs strong tramontane wind in the bay Leucate-to-marseille to produce some nice waves for carro)...If it is good i'll be there! Maybe in La coudou it'll be good, or in marseille at Le Prado...
Cribby
18 December '08 | 3:26pm
When I got the Mistral Twinser 92, I used it in small waves with a 5m- it was incredible! I honestly thought it turned better than anyway wave board I'd had before, yet it was massive! I couldn't believe it!

BUT when I first used the Twinser 84- this is BY FAR the best wave board on the market- you only need to sail at Hookipa to realise that most of the world's best riders are on Mistral/Mark Nelson boards at the moment, as their R&D with Nik is now a year or so ahead of their competitors on the Twinsers, and this board says it all. Whether I'm on onshore mush or down the line, this board rules. I always use it with asemetric fin position, usually about 2cm apart with the bottom turn fin quite far back. Mast track about 70% forwards just covering the mast track and footstraps- front straps right forwards, back straps right back or one from the back for lighter winds.

I have no problem getting this board planing and regularly use it with 5.3m underpowered- just pump more and get in footstraps very early.

I'm just back from an epic trip to Sicily where we scored sik surf and 30 knots winds- I used the 84 overpowered with 4.2m and underpowered with 5.3m- was great in all conditions.

I am fortunate enough to own a 92 Twinser too- I would say this is my most valuable piece of windsurfing kit, since it allows me to go wave sailing in virtually no wind. Last week at Kimmeridge it was head to logo high, 25 people wave sailing then the wind dropped and they all came in except two of us, both on large boards wobbling out and scoring the best waves of the day!

The Mistral Twinsers rule. They've had more R&D than any other brand and it shows- they are very different from the other boards out there and rip in all conditions. If you like wave riding, look no further! Congrats to Nik and Mark for all their hard work!
13 March '09 | 12:32am
Backlooop with my 4.2 fly / 84L. twinzer at 7.50 am before going to school in la coudouli?re near marseille...
Shot with goprowide in video mode (screenshot of the video)

jd
10 April '09 | 4:08am
hey all, just scored on a 84 twinzer..was setting it up after dark today and couldn't tell for sure..but are the twinzer fins flatter on one side than the other?.. if so which side face s the outside rail?... the flatter or rounder side (as the fins aren't marked L or R)..or am i just misjudging the shape in the dim light and the fins are symetrical on both sides of the fin... hopefully will try it out in head/logo 5.0 conditions tomorrow!
Jeff
11 April '09 | 1:05am
Mine are symetrical. If they were flat on one side I think the flat side would go toward the center like on a thruster surfboard set up.
Just got back From Baja where the Twinzer worked like a champ.
Jeff
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Attachments:
  • Valid attachments: gif, jpg, jpeg, png
  • No file can be larger than 400 KB
  • 5 more file(s) can be attached to this message