Hello, welcome to Boardseeker Windsurfing Magazine please use the links below to jump to a specific section.

Navigation Search Content Other Mpora Sites

Slalom board test?

Posted by jumanus 
jumanus
Slalom board test?
7 April '09 | 3:21pm
Are you thinking in a slalom boards test?
I would like to know if the Starboard iSonic is really to much faster than others production boards and how much faster than some freeride boards like Starboard Futura or Fanatik Eagle.
A Clone
Re: Slalom board test?
9 April '09 | 8:38am
Its unlikely we will be doing a group Slalom test this year as our schedule is pretty full already. However we do have some concept tests planned eg Slalom vs Freeride & Big Freewave vs Freeride etc, so at least one of your questions might be answered! Sorry - hopefully next year for the full slalom test....
MJ
7 July '09 | 10:32pm
jumanus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are you thinking in a slalom boards test?
> I would like to know if the Starboard iSonic is
> really to much faster than others production
> boards and how much faster than some freeride
> boards like Starboard Futura or Fanatik Eagle.

The difference is massive!
A real slalom board (e.g. iSONIC or Manta) is hell lot faster than a freeride, especially with a good fin.
If You are looking for top speed and top precision buy a slalom board but be prepared for being tired to death after even short sessions at the begining as these are really demanding. You also need to have a really good jibing technique and do everything a lot faster as slalom boards rather don't forgive eventual mistakes. In my oppinion there is also no sense in making the kit with a freeride sail (even cam freeride) ase fr sails can't use the whole potential of the board.

I use Deboichet custom slalom fins (34, 36 and 38) with iSonic 101l and 5.5, 6.2 and 7.0 slalom sails (4 cam wide sock).

The kit is not cheap but definitely worth saving money. As You will once change the freeride kit for a real slalom one and if You are not afraid of speed You will quickly forget about freeride.

p.s. Make sure that You're equiped with a seat harness and long harness lines (28' or 30') as it helps a lot in strong winds.

The best way to know will be some demo days, have a nice day of fin flying winking smiley
MJ
7 July '09 | 10:39pm
If You're not sure- I collected the money for 2 years (I mainly sail on waves but when the wind direction is not good 4 wave sailing or the wind is not strong enough I usually rig slalom kit) and it took me some effort to buy the sails (NP RS:Racing Evo II- early before, season preorder only) I definitelly have to say that it's worth it.
MJ
7 July '09 | 10:41pm
Gaastra Vapor's are much cheaper and also really good, as far as i know half of slalom sizes are rigged on RDMs.
jumanus
8 July '09 | 4:28pm
Hi MJ!
Thanks for your posts.

I think I would carefully review my budget to decide what to do.
Author:

Subject:

Attachments:
  • Valid attachments: gif, jpg, jpeg, png
  • No file can be larger than 400 KB
  • 5 more file(s) can be attached to this message