Hello, welcome to Boardseeker Windsurfing Magazine please use the links below to jump to a specific section.

Navigation Search Content Other Mpora Sites

Boardseeker waveboard tests?

Posted by Surfmeister 
mike
Re: Boardseeker waveboard tests?
21 March '10 | 7:40pm
Worth Waiting for..... Think i'll be shopping for a JP going on that info.... just need to work out how i'm going to pay for one!!

Credit Card?

Anyone do 0%finance still, or take standing orders for windsurf gear? they always used to when i wanted to buy a washing machine or TV??

Mike.
copek
26 March '10 | 2:34pm
Would love to hear some thoughts on this too if possible.

Cheers,

C.

Surfmeister Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Secondly I want your opinion on a partner to the
> T76. I am considering a freewave around 85 liters
> (e.g. SB Kode 86) or a larger Twin. How is the
> Quatro T84 compared to e.g. the Kode 86? Is the
> T84 to close in size to the T76? Maybe go for the
> Quatro T92?
> Thanx!
Amused bystander
26 March '10 | 5:14pm
mike Wrote:
> Anyone do 0%finance still, or take standing orders
> for windsurf gear? they always used to when i
> wanted to buy a washing machine or TV??
>

Yeah, but they're durable goods..
danielgustav
27 March '10 | 11:54am
Will it be a waveboard test in the 80-85 litre range? And when?

Best regards,
Daniel
serdiman
29 March '10 | 12:03pm
WOW NAMAN HA GALING wave board parang alam lahat na tricks? mas magaling ako marami tricks 50 plus tricks ko wa talo kayo
serdiman
29 March '10 | 12:04pm
WOW NAMAN HA GALING wave board parang alam lahat na tricks? mas magaling ako marami tricks 50 plus tricks ko wa talo kayo
31 March '10 | 2:42pm
Another boardseeker test glad to read such net tests . You help people decide what is best for them but the whole thing is so tricky so many boards so many choices .In general i like your test (except test about last year fly)
Twin fin you can make tail/slide turn (small radius) or rail/carving turn (long radius) Some twins like RRD turn on their tail some other like JP on both Some others like quattro-goya more on the rails The main thing to answer is DO THEY KEEP SPEED through the turn and be radical at the same time ????? DO THEY ACCELARATE from top to bottom ? And this is MORE OBVIOUS IN SIDE ON SHORE conditions to keep the speed through the turn .I think twin fin is better for tail/slide turns slash cut backs easier boards plug and play and some of them good for rail drive turns but single fin are better more speed and more demanding boards in top to bottom turns but no good on tight turns .I dont know about QUADS but i think there are for rail drive longer turns but i dont know if quads are slower boards with more control Personaly i found one board that conquers all
Fock
31 March '10 | 6:16pm
Please adrian, what's about the quad JP australia???
I know you clones sailed them in 74 & 82....how are they compared to the quatro ones?

Could you tell more about them???
31 March '10 | 9:08pm
serdiman Wrote:
> WOW NAMAN HA GALING wave board parang alam lahat
> na tricks? mas magaling ako marami tricks 50 plus
> tricks ko wa talo kayo

Serdiman

I can't work out if you're a militant Filippino / Tagalog speaker, a rather shite spambot, an iconoclast, or just a mental defective. Care to enlighten?
adrian@boardseeker
1 April '10 | 9:29am
We havent actually got to try the JP Quad 74 - only the twin.

I know that Phil Horrocks (Team Riders) does use it in Quad mode quite a lot - particularly in South Africa and seemed to like it. But I think still likes the Twin set-up in smaller onshore conditions...

I also know someone else who had the 74 convertible and found in Quad mode it was stiffer to initiate the turn and also not as tight turning through the bottom turn....

If you buy a set of Twinser fins for it, make sure they fit the box as I saw one set of fins that needed to be filed down to fit the box of the Quad convertible because the track is shorter.

We have used the 82 Quad, but not yet in Twinser mode, so I cant really comment on how they compare.

The 82 JP vs the Quatro 85 Quads, I would say that the JP is a bit faster to plane, more 'traditional' in feel in a straight line (rides off the tail more), but not quite as loose in proper wave riding and feels like it turns more off the tail than the Quatro does in the top turn. The Quatro feels like it turns with the grip from the shoulders of the board. The Jp also feels a lot more 'finned up' than the Quatro.

I'm afraid that's about all I know at the moment....

Adrian
fock
1 April '10 | 6:33pm
That's for answering me!
Infact, i own a 92 quad jp, the first ones arrived in france, since october i think (don't really remember)...I'm 88/95kg, it depends of the time of the year...;-)
So i sailed it quite a lot & let my mistral twinzer 84 in the garage...I love the feeling of having more back foot in straight line, i think it's going faster when going upwind...but that's sure you must go for it a t the beginning to make the same bottom that you did with the twin.. (& the mistral one did so well, you know that). But the most crazy thing is that you can push it hard & it has no limit in terms of grip, you can because of the control that the quad gives! I improved my sailing a lot with the quad, & i improved it before with the twin. I think it's a good thing to go for a twin before a quad...because it's easier to understand how it works. But the quad is better for going upwind, jumping, bigger waves, hi wind...i think...i'm not 100% sure of all, it depends of the shape, that's sure, but the quad is harder to make it turn AT THE BEGINNING....! not after some time on it...
Just, the mistral was easier to go for the taka....but that seems to be THE board for that move....

Thanks, & if you know a little bit more on the difference between jp & quatro, or how to improve the jp, tell me.

I must try the starboard fin combination on the jp....!!!!
Ahahah i'lll tell you how it works...
snapperstve
16 April '10 | 10:42am
adrian@boardseeker Wrote:
> Hi Fock, the 75 test will be released pretty soon
> with the boards mentioned above included.
>
> Our 85 test has the following boards:
>
> JP Quad 82
> Quatro Tempo 84
> Quatro Quad 85
> Fanatic New Wave Twin 86
> RRD Thruster
> Tabou DaCurve
> Starboard Quad 81
> Goya Custom Twin 81
>
> We are still trying to finish this test off -
> there has been too much wind recently!! So would
> expect Jan to be a realistic release time.

Hi

Thanks for 75ltr test v interesting...

When do you plan to publish above test??

cheers

steve
User
27 April '10 | 1:58am
Hi!

How does Quatro Quad 85 stack up against Tempo 84, if the main purpose for the board is 4.7 - 5.8
sweet spot 5.0-5.3 cross-on to cross-off? What's the float/stability like for float and ride? Upwind?
27 April '10 | 10:36pm
Did starboard ever say if there quad 76 they supplied was actually defective?

I am about to purchase the convertible, probably just use it as single fin...

As there have been some known issues with finbox misalignments and tail rocker problems, there is a high chance that the board in this test is defective. The board is currently being returned to Starboard for verification. Boardseeker has agreed to re-test the board.

Given that comment from starboard is there a way to tell if the finbox is misaligned on a new board?
jack
28 April '10 | 5:54am
The words "wouldn't touch with a barge pole" spring to mind. If boardseeker are that sceptical on the qualities i'd be very reluctant to part with cash for one of their multifins?

If you have to go starboard, i hear the starboard Kode in the 76 is an excellent board, i read a few tests that scored it pretty good...

Good luck.
jack
28 April '10 | 6:01am
I meant the Starboard Kode in a 74....
3 August '10 | 11:29am
So, at the end, what was wrong with the Starboard quad? We did not have the end of the story.
Jan
27 August '10 | 12:53am
Hey guys!

I want to ask soth about fins in twinfin boards. My friend found out some time ago that there are letters "L" and "R" on the fins supplied with his RRD wavetwin. As I checked the photos from boardseeker test I found that one:

This photo shows fins mounted probably quite different than they were meant to (left and right???)

As we checked the fins it occured that mounted the "wrong" way, there is a straight angle between the fins and the bottom of the board and when L is on the left and R is on the right they are (a little bit but noticabely) positioned towards the rails (only like 2-3 degrees).

Did You guys try different mounts of fins during the test? Does it affect the riding the way that the feeling can be different according to different mounting?
drm
27 August '10 | 8:11am
Jan Wrote:
> Hey guys!
>
> I want to ask soth about fins in twinfin boards.
> My friend found out some time ago that there are
> letters "L" and "R" on the fins supplied with his
> RRD wavetwin. As I checked the photos from
> boardseeker test I found that one:
>
> [www.boardseekermag.com]
> t-tests/images/kit/2010/119/quatro/high_res/3.jpg
>
> This photo shows fins mounted probably quite
> different than they were meant to (left and
> right???)
>
> As we checked the fins it occured that mounted the
> "wrong" way, there is a straight angle between the
> fins and the bottom of the board and when L is on
> the left and R is on the right they are (a little
> bit but noticabely) positioned towards the rails
> (only like 2-3 degrees).
>
> Did You guys try different mounts of fins during
> the test? Does it affect the riding the way that
> the feeling can be different according to
> different mounting?

As far as I know, the fins are symmetrical. The labelling of "R" and "L" comes from the idea that if you sail a LOT at the same spot (every day at Hookipa), the fins will become a bit different due to being used on the same side all the time.

Yes, I try to put them on the same side every time, but doubt if it has any performance issues since I do not sail enough and change spots all the time. The standard fins for Tabou and Fanatic has no "R" and "L" labelling on them, for instance.
27 August '10 | 8:20pm
Hey, i dont know much about the fins them selves i use the standard fanatic ones and those k4 jobbies but here is a bit of blurb from MFC

"Twin fin concept, one full year of research and development by MFC together with Kauli Seadi and Keith Teboul, 2 of the most radical wave sailors in the world. This model comes from the outline of the EIGHT, and it has a LEFT and RIGHT fin. In fact it is very important to keep the same fin on the same side to keep the same amount and direction of torsion. The maximum draft of the profile is at 30%, allowing greater carving without penalizing the early planning and the upwind performances."

Ed
Author:

Subject:

Attachments:
  • Valid attachments: gif, jpg, jpeg, png
  • No file can be larger than 400 KB
  • 5 more file(s) can be attached to this message