Hello, welcome to Boardseeker Windsurfing Magazine please use the links below to jump to a specific section.

Navigation Search Content Other Mpora Sites

Quatro Tempo Help

Posted by xander 
Quatro Tempo Help
13 June '10 | 3:27am
Hello Everybody,

I am looking for feedback on how to best sail and trim a quatro tempo 76l as me and the board seem to have a bit of a schizophrenic relationship. On one level I love the board for how controllable it is overpowered, how spirited it is in a straight line, how sweet it is for crappy waves in doing quick little slashy geometric turns - especially backside turns, and how it jumps! Of course this board was made for backside riding so all this makes sense. However I just cant get the board to generate any really drive in a bottom turn or jibe - it feels like the board stays kind of flat and then slips and spins through the turn. The sensation is vaguely like when you spin out entering a turn. Assuming this is not totally rider error (which it probably is) I am wondering if there is a certain sailing style that helps this board generate a harder, sharper and more confident front side turn. Maybe I should really be forcing my weight over my front foot or maybe more mast hand pressure???? I tend to a more back foot heavy rider so I am wondering if it is just the wrong board for me. Maybe I need to me much more aggressive?? HELP HELP HELP!!!! FYI - I have mostly been riding the board with the fins forward, the mast about 1/3 from the back of the track and the straps in the middle position. I am bout 72kgs. To be brutally honest I kind of feel like the board is really a medium air bump and jump board with two fins which would explain most of my comments above.

Ultimately the reason why I ask is to:

a. Help me get this thing dialed in and best take advantage of what the new school waver sailing is all about so I can really progress in my wavesailing!
b. Determine if I should quickly get rid of this board while there may still be a market for twin fins and move on.

Thanks Much and I'd greatly prefer comments from people who actually have knowledge sailing the quatro tempo 76!

Xander

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/06/2010 | 3:48am by xander.
rocketronnie
Re: Quatro Tempo Help
13 June '10 | 9:59am
i us a bigger tempo, not had any issues so far, fins in the middle, mast track 1cm from the front, and get off your back foot, frontside bottom turn needs to start on the front foot, enjoy!
13 June '10 | 1:47pm
Hej!
I have had the Quatro Tempo 76 for about a month and have sailed the board in a wide range of conditions, from underpowered 5.0m2 to fully loaded 4.1, in dead-onshore to side shore and from 1m mushy, crap waves to 3m clean waves. My verdict: An amazing board!

My background: 74kg, competent wave sailor sailing mostly in x-on 1-3m conditions where the waves in general are quite powerless (wind generated) meaning that a large portion of the drive is generated not from the wave itself but from the board/sail. I love sailing front side and I have the last 5 years sailed Starboard Evo's and have been quite sceptical in the multifin hysteria and was on the verge of buying a 2009 version of the Evo instead of a twin. However, due to differnt reasons I decided to go for a Twin and Quatro specifically since Keith T is considered without doubt on of the best twin shapers out there.

Concerning my impressions of the board I am in most parts in complete agreement with The Boardseeker-team conclusions (have you read the test?); it is very controlled in a straight line, is very "lively" and gives lots of feedback compared to other twins (e.g. Goya) and has a very nice top end speed giving great jumps. It is very comfortable to sail remembering that this was my very first impression; it felt as I had sailed the board for years. It is extremely easy to gybe, in fact I have never sailed a waveboard which is so easy to keep the speed throughout the gybe and in general in a bump&jump mode it feels much like a freewave.

On the wave it completely blows me away. I did however need some time to adjust my technique compared to sailing the highly rockered Evo. The main difference compared to my Evo was that the board seems to need more rail initially in the turn which requires you to adjust your stance and apply more pressure to the front foot and mast. However, once the rail is engaged you are completely free to do pretty much what you want with the board sailing either front or back foot, tight or drawn out turns etc. It is easy to keep speed in the bottom turn, in fact as easy as the Evo´s which were easily some of the best boards for front side riding in x-on conditions. The main advantage of the Tempo is the top-turn; so tight and loose! Awesome!

I have done quite some tuning with fin and mast position and this has a huge impact on the board. So far I have found the following setup to perform nicely in x-on wave conditions:
1. Mast position: spot-on in the middle of the complete length of the track (i.e. including the larger part where you insert the mast foot). This is approx 8.5cm from the front edge of the mast track.
2. Fins: leading edge of the fins to be positioned approx between the fourth and fifth line counting from the front edge of the fin box. This places most of the fin area directly under your rear foot if you have it positioned as stated in point 3.
3. Foot strap position: front straps in the middle position, rear foot strap in the third hole from the front.

This setup makes the board very loose and can feel somewhat insecure in a straight line, especially if going at max speed in choppy conditions. For more blasting and jumping, move the fins slightly back and the mast forward which will make the board stiffer but much more directionally stable. The board, both when gibing and wave riding needs some rail in the water and therefore you need to apply more pressure on rail and mast initially. This can be done by widening your grip on the boom (move that back hand way back!) and also move the front hand slightly backwards when going into the bottom turn. This will automatically move the rig forward into the turn thus generating pressure on the rail. Secondly, bend those knees as much as possible giving a lower centre of gravity (exaggerate this part, compare to a surfer), lean forward/inwards and get some pressure on the front foot. This will engage the rail in the turn and will help in taking away the spin-out effect you are referring to. To much back foot pressure will not work. Hope this helps and don´t sell the board yet! It is really fantastic!
k766
13 June '10 | 2:40pm
Hey

with regard to sailing twin fin boards in general you do need to drive the board through bottom turns and gybes with your front foot rather than the back foot because the fins are smaller they tend to spin out much easier, this is great for a slashy top turn but if you are used to leaning or turing the board with the back foot you may have to adjust your sailing style to fully engage the rail in the turn.

Sam
13 June '10 | 3:19pm
This is great feedback - thanks for taking the time everybody. As I suspected it sounds like my issues are mostly rider style / error and that getting more pressure on the rails through front foot and mast pressure will make all the difference and will in turn make me a much better wavesailor. This is exactly why I bought the board so your comments help confirm my purchase!
⁠
⁠ One thing I read in the lengthy topic about the board tests is that the board works with the mast towards the back of the track which allows the shoulders to release. This comment sounds wrong based on your comments above - or maybe it comes from a rider who has a really killer front foot bottom turn and really knows ho to use the length of the board?
⁠
⁠ Also, in terms of fins it comes with the MFC Levi Siver 160. There is probably no reason to change out, but please weigh in if bigger / smaller / or different fins will give the board more drive. I've got to say though that my biggest concern with this board was that it would suck going upwind. I am incredibly surprised that it trucks upwind better than my last single fin!
13 June '10 | 6:19pm
I agree with the issue that the mast should not be to far forwards in the track. Initially I had the mast slightly forward of the middle position in order to help get that rail down in the turn, approx 5-6cm from the front edge. However this made the shoulders catch a lot and it did not feel good at all. Moving it back 2-3cm made a huge difference and currently I have the mast positioned 8-9 cm from the front edge. I will myself test it slightly further back the next time I go sailing and will continue to experiment and see what the best positions are for me and my conditions.

Concerning the fins I have sailed the board in 20-40 knots and the fins work fine throughout. Being very inexperienced with twinfin boards I have litle advice to give concerning impact of size etc. However, I would assume the same rules apply as for single fins.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 14/06/2010 | 11:12am by Surfmeister.
Author:

Subject:

Attachments:
  • Valid attachments: gif, jpg, jpeg, png
  • No file can be larger than 400 KB
  • 5 more file(s) can be attached to this message