Hello, welcome to Boardseeker Windsurfing Magazine please use the links below to jump to a specific section.

Navigation Search Content Other Mpora Sites
Oregonjeff
Quatro LS 95 quad vs Tempo 92
22 July '10 | 3:09pm
Dear Clones,
With El Nino killing our summer wind but still generating some reasonable surf I've found myself looking, for the first time, into 90 liter wave boards. I was all set to go with the Tempo 92 when I saw the 2011 LS Quad 95! I'm 75kg and my home beach is 30-40degrees side on every windy day (this year 11-18 knots) . I love to go frontside, so the speed preserving bottom turn is key! Currently I ride the Evo 83, and RRD Twinzer 82 (rides much smaller). I have a Kona 10-5 so I can always get out, but I'm tired of riding (and carrying) it. My 2 biggest criteria are carrying speed into the lip, and being able to to bring the board all the way back around ( almost 270 degrees!) off the lip without "catching" (with the nose headed straight at the beach). Deep down I crave the quad , but am I just hung up on fashion? Your comparison of the Quatro 85's last year might suggest the Tempo. Does the same hold true for the 95?
Real issue: can you really SNAP the tail all the way around on a quad on an onshore top turn? Or should I just stick with twins?
Thanks one and all for any advice.
P.S. Thanks so much for the great mag! I got clued in about 3 years ago by some Welsh guys in San Carlos. Windsurfing is nearly dead at our beach, and I love seeing it alive and well somewhere! Jeff
snappersteve
Re: Quatro LS 95 quad vs Tempo 92
23 July '10 | 1:20pm
please include your views on other 2011 quatro KT quad and how it fits in with quatro's offering, dose it replace rhythm?

cheers

steve
Oregonjeff
24 July '10 | 1:55am
Went with the quad. I figure at least then I'll know how they all feel. Hope I don't get buyers remorse! Jeff
rocket ronnie
7 August '10 | 4:06pm
and how'd you get on with the quad?
Oregonjeff
31 August '10 | 2:49am
So the quad rocks. Goes well with 5.5 and better with 6.0. No issues on the top turn. In turns so sharply that it doesn't need to slide. Fealt really thick at first, but after 4sessions I'm over it. Planes super early and points really high. I am finding that for onshore I needed to move the mast foot back quite far and also the straps. More forward and it was hanging up on the bottom turn. The double concave makes a nice loud "thwack" if you can find a hollow section. Should me a great board for light wind euro conditions. Jeff
Oregonjeff
31 August '10 | 2:09pm
So the quad rocks. Goes well with 5.5 and better with 6.0. No issues on the top turn. In turns so sharply that it doesn't need to slide. Fealt really thick at first, but after 4sessions I'm over it. Planes super early and points really high. I am finding that for onshore I needed to move the mast foot back quite far and also the straps. More forward and it was hanging up on the bottom turn. The double concave makes a nice loud "thwack" if you can find a hollow section. Should me a great board for light wind euro conditions. Jeff
29 October '10 | 3:57pm
Was wondering how now, after a few months of sailing, you rate the board? I am 88kg and looking into a 95l proper wave board for up to 6.0m2.

I guess I am convinced re the turning capabilities in good waves. But how about sluggish conditions, and especially I'd be keen to understand whether you notice lack of downwind speed and maybe cnosequently less jumping performance?

Appreciate your help!
Chris C
29 October '10 | 10:20pm
I'm also very interested to hear more about the LS 95 for waves as well as Gorge type sailing. I'm 80 kgs and ride a 85 L twin in highwind. The LS 95 would be my lighter air board.
Chris C
29 October '10 | 10:21pm
I'm also very interested to hear more about the LS 95 for waves as well as Gorge type sailing. I'm 90 kgs and ride a 85 L twin in highwind. The LS 95 would be my lighter air board.
Ori
9 November '10 | 11:11pm
Hi , i'm also interested about ls95 performance. I currently have the ls75 (delighted) , and i am considering a second one..just deciding the quiver of bigger boards..
A) option ls 75 + ls85 + fsw around 100 lts . ( that s more or less the quiver I have nowadays)
Or b) directly going for the ls 95. ( and having only 2 boards : 75+95) In this case i would like to know if it feels really too much big or no, and how it performs with 5.3 ? 4.7..? ..for your words ok with 5.7 my biggest sail. ( i am 75 kgs, similar to OregonJeff , and based in catalonia- mediterranean sea, not so good waves but lots of attitude. Sorry for my bad english).
Thank you..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2010 | 11:12pm by Ori.
jodrell bank
10 November '10 | 4:53pm
Hi guys - cant comment on the quatro quads vs twins as i dont have a relationship with their uk distributor but having ridden the starboard 2011 quad for a while (sideshore setting) i can confidently say that it's easy to twack out the tail twinnny style but there are lots of other advantages compared to twins.
Kinda makes the twin thing seem very narrow in the range of what it does - im really glad i dont have any old ones to try and sell now.
Personally i can see a 3 board quiver of a 71/82 quad and a 98 freestyle as being pretty much the ultimate combo.
Cheers
big ears
arnie
17 November '10 | 10:22pm
I exchanged my 92 Tempo for the 95 Quad, and boy am I stoked I did that. The 92 feels faster in a straight line and more lively, which translates into a little more nervous ride. While the 92 seemed to get stuck and "bank" in turns with higher winds; the 95 has no problem with that. Also the 95 is much more of a pure wave riding joy in anything from ankle slappers to mast high, as long as the winds are >5.3. Also, the 95 feels more smooth and controlled, which is also great in B&J type of conditions. The 95 is a better slog board, gets up on a plane quicker (I now make even my 20lbs lighter friend on his 81 twin and 5.6 look like a buoy), stays on a plane better, goes and stay upwind better, and is much easier to project and control in the turns, is faster on the wave face; all translating in more powerfull hits, bigger air, and more fun! It is not as slippery-slide in the cut back, but it grips really nicely and controlled. Overall I find the 95 to be the better board in both worlds: B&J and wave, as well as in side-shore to onshore.

Btw, I am 210lbs (~94kg) and windsurf along the Santa Cruz coast and in the SF Bay.
murray@zerogravitydistrbution.co.uk
18 November '10 | 9:59am
Hi Jodrell,

My name is Murray and i work with Quatro in the UK. Now that I have introduced myself you now 'Have a relationship' with me. I would be more then happy to try and arrange a demo for you on the boards. Likewise the offer is extended to anyone who would like to have a go or who would like some more information on our gear. I have used the boards a lot this year and have been really impressed. The Quad is a feel thing, you have to have a few spins to get the feel of it. Once you do you'll be so stoked! They turn with soo much conviction, grip and drive. The bottom turn is fluid allowing for a really smacking top turn. In jumping conditions they perform as well.. Hacking up wind is superb.

Please if anyone would like to have a chat do give either myself or any of our dealers a call. I can be contacted on 07812 399723 and our dealers can be found (http://www.zerogravitydistribution.co.uk/dealer.html).

All the best, hope everyone is enjoying the wind!
Jodrell Bank
18 November '10 | 10:19am
Hello Murray

Personal loyalties prevent me from buying any of zerogravity's product portfolio.

Thanks for the demo offer anyway and i hope you have a great autumn of wind and waves.

Cheers
big EARS.
Adam from sw massive
18 November '10 | 9:14pm
The quatro quads take some getting used too, but i was like that with the twins as well so maybe its me, but once you get em dialed, its genuinly a whole other place, nothing comes off the top like that!, and iam 89kg, use the 85ls and 95ls.
genuinly think its the next positive option for dtl.
The 95ls turns tighter and with more speed than any board ive had, i have no ties or sponsor sxxt, just spreadin the joy!.
Well done in the comp murry, turned out alright again eh?.
Mdw
5 December '10 | 9:56pm
Hi Should I get the 95 or 85 ls ?????? I am near 90kg but ride an 84 and 74 custom quattro - do find the 95 a big board in waves with a 5.2 on it ?

Thanks

Very interested to hear your comments
Southern Surf
6 December '10 | 10:31am
I have the Tempo 92, absolutely love it for the conditions we get here, which is mainly cross-on wave sailing conditions. I weigh 86kg and so far have only used it with a 5.3, it was absolutely brilliant! Considering the Tempo 84 for windier 4.7 / 4.2 conditions, but have barely had anything like that all year, so won't bother until it gets windy again... if ever.
Adam from sw massive
6 December '10 | 7:38pm
The 95ls q, rides a lot smaller than its ltrs, its shorter and narrower than the tempo as well, i use the 95 alot!, it hasnt felt too big yet, ive still got the tempo (92), but the quads are very different, not better!, different.
If i lived in cross on joy!, id have tempo all day long, as it is, iam rollin with the quads!, Super Fly!.
Erik
3 April '11 | 11:47pm
I'd go for the 75ltr and the 95ltr (In fact I have). With 92kgs I need consistent wind on the 75ltr to stay afloat. So if the wind is gusty or if I started with 75ltr and the wind drops I will keep the small sail and swap to the 95ltr. I've sailed this board with sails ranging from 4.2 to 5.8 and it never felt too big not even when overpowered in gust when on a 4.2m. These are really fantastic boards.
Jos
19 June '11 | 8:05pm
I'm considering the quad 95 to replace my angulo chango 88. I'm 97kg and will use it as my medium to high wind board.
I find that, with my skill and weight, the 88 is often to small to easily get out in onshore (north sea) conditions. For the lighter wind days I use the Angulo sumo 105 and this one is to big for 5.2 weather and smaller.
Will the quad 95 be a better float and better to quickly get out and still be a good high wind board than the Chango 88? Or will there not be much difference. Their width is about the same but the Quatro is much shorter.
Another to consider is maybe the Temp 92l.. A bit less volume but a cm more width.. wich one will be the better choice for me?

thanks.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Attachments:
  • Valid attachments: gif, jpg, jpeg, png
  • No file can be larger than 400 KB
  • 5 more file(s) can be attached to this message