Hello, welcome to Boardseeker Windsurfing Magazine please use the links below to jump to a specific section.

Navigation Search Content Other Mpora Sites
copek
Max sail size on RRD Twin 82 / Tempo 84
29 July '10 | 11:21am
I'm looking to buy a new (2nd hand) two board quiver to go with my sails 4.2, 4.7, 5.3, 5.8. I'm after :

- a 75 lt single fin for 4.2, 4.7 and powered up 5.3
- a larger twin for underpowered 4.7 and 5.3, 5.8 (I rarely use 5.8 though, but need to be able to).

It's the 2nd i'm struggling with. I've sailed and really liked the RRD 82 Twin, but think it's too small to be my 'big' board. It seems to be a 4.7/5.3 board - ie a 'middle' board and I cant have 3 boards at the moment. I know there's the RRD 90, but at 60cm wide it seems a bit big. If only there was an 86 ...

Can anyone comment on how the 82 it is with a 5.8?

Main alternative is the Quatro Tempo 84. Am I kidding myself that just an extra cm of width, 2 lts and wider make it more of a 5.3 and up board?

I'm 75kg, an ok wave sailor (go out in pretty much anything, ride front and backside, can land forwards, get round backies). Mostly sail the south coast, but make trips to proper waves in cornwall, scotland every now and then.

Many thanks,

Copek.
oregonjeff
Re: Max sail size on RRD Twin 82 / Tempo 84
3 August '10 | 7:57pm
I have the RRD twin 82 with the MFC TF-KT 160 fin set. I can sail it no problem (75kg) when powerred up on my 5.5. It is quite thin in the tail, and getting on a plane when underpowered is less fun. I think a 5.5 feels good on in. It really lets you use the forward rail on a bottom turn. Sails well down to 4.5 and ok on a 4.0. I really think of more as a 75L board that gets you out a bit sooner. For perfect side-off waves I would never need a bigger board and could sail it down to uphaul conditions, but in side-on it needs some more juice. Jeff
Toby
4 August '10 | 5:47am
I have a 74 and a 90 (both actually for sale, drop me an email if you interested), i find that the 90 twin is good and will take a 5.7-6.0 and down to 4.5 at a push 4.0. I was a bit worried about he width too but it definately doesn't feel big I would say its feels like an 85ltr wave board and thats how I use it. I am 79kg. It planes early with the correct input and is wonderful on waves bottom and top turns are great as you can really bury the rail. I find it makes the most of the days that aren't so good, and compliments a smaller board very well to give a huge range to get out in. If I was going to own just one wave board I would have gone for the 82.

Can't fault either of the twin boards.
I am 78 kgs and used to own the RRD 90 and have sailed the 82 a bit (as rental/borrowed) with 4.2, 4.7 and 5.3.

From your description of "a larger twin for underpowered 4.7 and 5.3, 5.8 (I rarely use 5.8 though, but need to be able
to)" I would say that this is exactly what I used my 90 for. A large twin sails smaller and offers more control than a normal single-fin of similar size. I would say that my RRD 90 in many ways reminded me of the RRD WaveCult 84/85 (I have used both) when it comes to size and control, with the 90 being even quicker in the turns. I have also owned the RRD WaveCult 90 and it felt like at least a size bigger than the twin 90. The sailing I enjoyed most with my 90 was with a 5.3. When I was properly powered with a 5.3, or conditions went more side/side-off, I went for my smaller 75 litre board (I do the same now, but have a 93 litre twin as my big board and a 79 litre twin as my smallest).

The RRD twin 82 will take a 5.7/5.8, but this will not offer that much over a 5.3 with that board. It really is home with a 5.3 and 4.7. I know two guys that sail the Tempo, but the 76, and from how they describe that board it should be able to carry a slightly larger sail than the RRD.

However, since you are looking at a two-board quiver, I would go for a large twin and 75-78 litre smaller board with the 5.3 being the "overlap" sail in your quiver, sometimes 4.7. Which, incidentally, is identical to how my quiver looks (with a 3.7 added).

Hopes this makes some sense.

copek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm looking to buy a new (2nd hand) two board
> quiver to go with my sails 4.2, 4.7, 5.3, 5.8. I'm
> after :
>
> - a 75 lt single fin for 4.2, 4.7 and powered up
> 5.3
> - a larger twin for underpowered 4.7 and 5.3, 5.8
> (I rarely use 5.8 though, but need to be able
> to).
>
> It's the 2nd i'm struggling with. I've sailed and
> really liked the RRD 82 Twin, but think it's too
> small to be my 'big' board. It seems to be a
> 4.7/5.3 board - ie a 'middle' board and I cant
> have 3 boards at the moment. I know there's the
> RRD 90, but at 60cm wide it seems a bit big. If
> only there was an 86 ...
>
> Can anyone comment on how the 82 it is with a
> 5.8?
>
> Main alternative is the Quatro Tempo 84. Am I
> kidding myself that just an extra cm of width, 2
> lts and wider make it more of a 5.3 and up board?
>
> I'm 75kg, an ok wave sailor (go out in pretty much
> anything, ride front and backside, can land
> forwards, get round backies). Mostly sail the
> south coast, but make trips to proper waves in
> cornwall, scotland every now and then.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Copek.
If it comes to RRD 82 twin I'd rather give up the idea to use it with 5.8, 5.3 is for me (76-78kg, 185cm) the biggest comfortable sail with this board.
copek
5 August '10 | 10:41am
thanks all for your replies ... very useful. if anyone has any thoughts onthe Tempo 84 that would be great too.

cheers,

C.
Kit
5 August '10 | 10:52am
I am 75kg and use the 82 as my bigger board with an Ezzy 5.8 and use it perfectly well. No problems with early planing and I have been using this combination loads recently for freestyle and south coast wave riding.
Kit
david,w
5 August '10 | 10:07pm
tempo 84 brilliant on 5.3, will try on my 5.9 a.s.ap and post
copek
9 August '10 | 9:41am
cheers mate, that would be really handy!

david,w Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> tempo 84 brilliant on 5.3, will try on my 5.9
> a.s.ap and post
Tony
9 August '10 | 10:03am
I've been sailing the Tempo 84 for about 6 months now. I sail it with 4, 4.5, 5 and 5.7. I would say it is perfect with a 5m, very good with a 4.5m and is fine on the 4m if not too hectic. It is ok with the 5.7 but I think this sail size is really at the margins of the upper sail size for the board - I would guess a 5.3 would be ideal biggest sail. It may be my tuning but I find with the 5.7 that the board feels like it wants to nose dive a lot - it is very tippy. It is sailable but not that comfortable. I therefore use a 95 FSW for 5.7 weather.

Overall it is a brilliant board. Gets planing quickly, sails like a FSW but is like a wave board on the waves. It has a nice wide tail and with the fastish rocker you maintain speed through the waves easily.
copek
12 August '10 | 2:48pm
cheers Tony, good to know.

how much do you weigh if you don't mind me asking! ;-)
Tony
12 August '10 | 10:24pm
I'm 75kg. Based on the 84 litre I think a good combination would be to get the 92 litre tempo for 5.7 and 5m crossover and then a 76 litre tempo for 5m and below. I think the 92 litre would be able to replace a wave oriented FSW but be even better in the waves - which is what the 84 litre is pretty much like.

I was also lucky enough to use a wood construction of the 84 litre whilst I was waiting for a PVC (pro edition). I found the wood to be really smooth over chop. The PVC is a bit more clattery but it is quite a bit lighter so has a nicer overall feel to it. Tony
copek
16 August '10 | 9:30am
thanks again ... same weight as me so very useful!
14 February '11 | 8:22pm
An old thread I know , but was reading it all the same.
I'm 84kg and I've got the 84 Tempo, have sailed it maxed on 4.2 and I even sailed it with a 6.2 once and still liked it.
For my weight ( or just me even) it's at its best 4.7-5.3 but still works well either side of that.
Jan
15 February '11 | 10:57am
Go for Quatro, You got much (and nI mean MUCH) more resistant board.
I once was RRD fanatic however after two seasons with breaking 4 RRD boards and being left with nothing after warranty claims I was so pi**** off that I started looking for something else.
One season I broke the hard core cult 65 and wavecult 80 and another season two twins (82 & 66) gave up...
Cults gave up splitting for two halves (between footstraps and mast track) and twins just gave up almost splitting fo two halves under front footstraps. It ain't a surprise that they have only 6 months warranty though...

I went for Quatro Rhythm Twins and NOTHING happened with them after a really hard season.
steph1
15 February '11 | 12:30pm
Well to add to all comments, I have the RRD Twin in 90 and 74, and I'm 77Kg.
I think that the RRD90 twin will be a better choice for your 5.8 than the 82 if it's where you are going to use the board the most for, especially as you already have a 75ltr single fin board. But in case you are worried about the board being to big, I use my 90 with 5.6 and 5.0 and as weird as it may seem the 5.0 on the 90 is a very sweet combination, I then use the 74 twin with anything below 5.0 (I know i can use it with the 5.0 but since the 90 work so well then I don't bother).
Twin fin boards do feel smaller, I would say that 90 ltr twin works more like a 80 to 85ltr single board.
Good luck with your choice, if you ever get the chance to try one before you buy then do.
Hope this help
Pablo Santiago
24 September '11 | 6:00pm
Hi there, strange you mentioned it, I had a Wave cult 80L 2008 and broke it in 1/2 meter swell after only 8 months (mostly winter without using it) and after RRD didnt answer my e-mails regarding warranty, my dealer ofered the wave twin 82Liters for an additional U$1000 dollars on a 2011 modell. This twin broke in half after only two dips in the water, you should have seen me, I looked exactly the same as Leonardo Di Caprio in the TITANIC movie... I now have a brand new 82 Twin sitting in my garage taht my dealer gave me at no additional charge, I have used it twice on flat water this winter, had a 4.0 day yesterday and was so scared to break the board by now, I just feel like switching to anything else.. Good luck, RRD is a big lottery these days. I think they might be a little fragile on the plug, or sensitive when out of the water with it, as they have changed to a sacrifice plug for some modells on the 2012 line, same a the cheap JP boards..
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Attachments:
  • Valid attachments: gif, jpg, jpeg, png
  • No file can be larger than 400 KB
  • 5 more file(s) can be attached to this message