Hello, welcome to Boardseeker Windsurfing Magazine please use the links below to jump to a specific section.

Navigation Search Content Other Mpora Sites

Quatro KT cf LS

Posted by Snapperstve 
Snapperstve
Quatro KT cf LS
25 January '11 | 1:38pm
Thanks again for excellent 75ltr wave board test.

Would it be possible to give a comparison between Quatro LS 75 and KT 76

Cheers

Steve
dobby
Re: Quatro KT cf LS
25 January '11 | 2:18pm
The LS is a bit earlier planing and faster but likes to be ridden with more power than the KT.

I hear you can get much better deals on them in france than the uk - worth a bit of looking to save a lot of $$$$

laters
dobbz
dim
29 January '11 | 9:15am
From your experience, what is the best choice (KT or LS) for a light sailor (67kg) for side shore riding of long but not powerfull wave (from the most to the less used sail: 4.7>5.3>4) ?

thanks
dim
dobby
29 January '11 | 11:04am
The LS is defo a heavier (power sailors) board - rails are thicker and it wants a harder "push" into the turn - the KT is softer and seems to need to have less drive to make it turn.

They are both nice boards - but at 74 kilos i found they were not me felt like the KT was a bit too "settled" and the Ls was a bit too "corky" so i bought the JP polakow quad (not the kauili one) and it's just right - bit like the porridge in goldilocks (i am growing my hair but im not there yet and i dont know any bears though)...................................

Laters
dobbz
kavem
2 February '11 | 6:02pm
Hi, out of interest, I'm 74kg too which (if you had to) would you go for 76KT or 69KT - south coast (UK) generally, ocasionally elsewhere, to partner a 84 tempo?
shredlee
2 February '11 | 10:06pm
I've actually tried both. The 76 KT feels smaller than you might imagine, the latest boardseeker test said it would be better on a 5.0 or less. At 74kg I seriously doubt the 76 KT would ever feel too big. Quatro says to go 5 liters more than "normal". The 69 kt is closer in feel to the old quatro 63 single fin wave. It might sound like win/win to have such a turny board in a higher volume, but what they don't say is you will actually need the extra volume for planing and balance due to the board shape/fins. Not exactly sure why thats just how it felt to me. The KT quad is a nice board by the way but its definitely more specialized for DTL.

Good luck with your choice
Dobby
3 February '11 | 11:24am
Hi there again

I think Lee is spot on here - you really do need to go a bit bigger rather than smaller with this board.

If you are focussing 100% on riding this IS a win win situation - if you are 50/50 riding and jumping then you maybe able to get away with less volume on some other boards to give you more control in the air.....

Good luck

Dobbz
JIM
3 February '11 | 12:04pm
Does anyone have any experience of the bigger size quads/twins like the 92l. I am 72 kg and have a 2009 JP RWW 74 that does me up to 5.3 weather but looking for a board that will partner it up to use between marginal 5.3 and 6m weather. Will an 85l cover the full range at my weight?
Snapperstve
3 February '11 | 12:28pm
JIM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone have any experience of the bigger size
> quads/twins like the 92l. I am 72 kg and have a
> 2009 JP RWW 74 that does me up to 5.3 weather but
> looking for a board that will partner it up to use
> between marginal 5.3 and 6m weather. Will an 85l
> cover the full range at my weight?

I have the 74 RWW 08 I think it is big compared with it's stated volume probably same sail carrying capacity (5.3) as KT 83 Quad the RWW will also plane earlier but not ride as well..

For 6m I use 58cm 86 ltr FSW
Southern Surf
3 February '11 | 12:46pm
JIM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone have any experience of the bigger size
> quads/twins like the 92l. I am 72 kg and have a
> 2009 JP RWW 74 that does me up to 5.3 weather but
> looking for a board that will partner it up to use
> between marginal 5.3 and 6m weather. Will an 85l
> cover the full range at my weight?

I have the Quatro Tempo 92 as my only wave board, but then I weigh 88kg, so it's a different beast for me, I find it super easy to sail, fantastic in the onshore stuff we get on the south coast. I use it with sails from 5.9 down to 4.2.

For your weight it might be a little bit too thick, needs a bigger sailor I think. You would probably be better off with an 85.
Toby
4 February '11 | 5:05am
I got the 2011 Quatro Quad LS 85 this year, awesome board, its my only wave board having had two twins a 74 and 90 before it. I am 78kg and use it in everything from dtl to dead onshore and even flat water freestyle, sails 5.7 to 3.6 it works for all these ranges, although 3.6 is at the limit it is perfectly useable and still loads of fun. I can wobble out on it in 12-14 knts and pump it onto a wave as well. From my exerience of twins this board gets going very quickly comparatively and seems to be better in onshore conditions, I also think it jumps well, i have landed more aerial moves since having it than ever before. My only critiscm is that when its underpowered you have to be a tad more back foot heavy than a twin, although that maybe my poor technique.
Morris Dancer
5 February '11 | 9:51pm
Sailed the KT 83 yesturday, cracking board..
11 February '11 | 8:59pm
hi
im a an intermediate rider and ive started wavesailing this winter ..... i have an old single fin wave board but i was wondering
how much different the 83l quatro quad kt board compered to a 100l freestyle wave ...?
cheers
Tony
11 February '11 | 9:29pm
Burkie

I first started getting into wave riding on an 87 litre wavy freestylewave and was struggling with it being too stiff for me - I couldn't turn it well enough. Got a Quatro Tempo 84 litre twin and it made all the difference. So much easier to turn and fun on the wave. I've now also got a Quatro LS 75 for higher winds. I am still getting used to it and not used much in the waves yet but it grips really well and keeps the speed so well in turns. I've really noticed this in gybes where you are around the corner - too quickly if anything. Anyway, would really recommend a multifin board to help with wave riding. So much easier to turn and keep speed. I also think that wave boards are much better for getting into wave riding as they are looser in general. I think FSWs are too stiff in general for people getting into waves.

Tony
11 February '11 | 10:55pm
Thanks for that Tony

If I was to get a quatro quad which one (if there is a difference)
is better between the KT83 and the LS85 ...?

Cheers Burkie
Tony
12 February '11 | 7:38am
Burkie

I've only sailed the 75LS and not the KT. However, if you look at the Boardseeker review the KT it gets a good write up. From what I have read the LS is better when powered up on the wave and the KT when not so powered up (but it will need good waves). I am thinking about getting a 95ish litre quad now as well to replace my FSW and wonder if the 95LS would be good for this. It seems to have a pretty quick rocker and certainly the 75LS gets planing easily.

I'm no expert though.

Tony
12 February '11 | 10:48am
Tony

The quad ls 95 sounds like a pretty nice board ... I presume that it would be early planing with all that volume even though I read somewhere that you can about five more liters than you normally do with the LS .... I presume it is also pretty manageable for an intermediate ....? Do you have any views on this ?

Cheers BURKIE
Morris Dancer
12 February '11 | 3:37pm
The 83 kt feels like a better board from the hour or so ive had on both(83kt &85ls).. It goes as early and is better once on the wave. Its a very easy board to sail too which shocked me.. I used them in good waves cross shore and weigh 87kg..
6 March '11 | 8:00pm
Hi guys
I was just wondering what ye define light wind as? Less than 15 knots?
I am 71kgs , should i be able to sail a 83 quad in 10knots ish on 6.2?
sinbad
6 March '11 | 10:27pm
I have used both the KT and the LS finding the KT the better board by far. The LS lacks top end speed compared to the KT. The LS is in itself an older design and regardless of how they are marketed the KT is an improved version whilst the LS is one of the originals glossed up to look new.

The better comparison should be KT or Goya quad, with the answer to this being if your wanting a board to excel in onshore and side shore then the goya and if it is more perfect dtl sailing then consider the KT with the LS not even getting a look in.

RRD quad is nice too, very smooth and keen to turn but gets a bit skittery in the bigger waves.

At the end of the day they all work you just adapt to what you have...
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Attachments:
  • Valid attachments: gif, jpg, jpeg, png
  • No file can be larger than 400 KB
  • 5 more file(s) can be attached to this message