Hello, welcome to Boardseeker Windsurfing Magazine please use the links below to jump to a specific section.

Navigation Search Content Other Mpora Sites

BIG Wave Board

Posted by woodpecker 
TonyD
Re: BIG Wave Board
16 March '11 | 6:39pm
Woodpecker

Agreed re board weights. If anything a slightly heavier board may be more planted and therefore easier to turn and control. I have had the Quatro Tempo twin in both wood and PVC (lighter) constructions. I can't say one was better than the other, just different. The wood was more planted but nice and smooth in the chop. The PVC did feel lighter and therefore felt faster over the chop and perhaps nicer for jumping. It felt more alive in turns but perhaps less controlled. However, I think a lot was down to bias from the board weight and not in actual board difference.

In the latest Boards it states that Jaws boards are 4kg heavier to give the control they need!
16 March '11 | 6:45pm
Calm down....just trying to help, don't think there was any need at all for that reply.

I've just tested:

Quattro KT and LS 80ish and 90 ish range
RRD WC 92
Fanatic Twin 90 something
Moo custom 98 ish
RRD FSW 96

....so I know the weights and more importantly the feelings of all those boards. The RRD is not only physically heavier but feels heavier on the wave, and needs alot more power to get it going when the other boards are up and running and ripping, while you could possibly still be struggling on the RRD.

Don't get me wrong , I'm usually an RRD man through and through, but not this year with their new wave boards.

This is a forum, you post a question you get different answers....that's how it works. If you don't want answers, and I think mine was pretty relevant, don't ask them or start a thread.
merrony
16 March '11 | 11:11pm
Im with you on what Jim/ Puravida is about to do with his range of boards, its something he has been working towards for a long time....

From what we have used, which is pretty much all of them.. The Fanatic twin 93 stands out as it just works in a huge range of conditions so much so that ive never got round to getting a smaller board(86-89kg). If quatro made a bigger version of the 83 KT then that would be up there too.. Every other big wave board felt too compromised in one way or another for proper wavesailing..

Jim/Puravida has been working on something that will fill the gap that production has left wide open ie wave boards that work in good conditions for 85-95kg guys..

Interesting times to come for the British custom scene....
billy
16 March '11 | 11:50pm
Perhaps you should go in the store and lift one up.
Heavy boards not good.

Sailrepair,
Anyone picking up an Evil Twin 70 or 75 at £650 got a bargain. But I imagine if you were selling them then this would be a problem for you.

Regardless of the headline price, it's best to see for yourself which board suits you.
And, if you are selling the 2011 Starboard Quad IQs – or just thinking of buying new – you should give them a go. Superb boards, with a new fin system adaptable to different sailing styles and wave conditions.

I guess most people won't know this because the prices of all new boards is high, people haven't got the money to spend right now, and the Quads haven't been tested much.
billy
16 March '11 | 11:53pm
Woodpecker,
Perhaps you should go in the store and lift one up.
Heavy boards not good.

Sailrepair,
Anyone picking up an Evil Twin 70 or 75 at £650 got a bargain. But I imagine if you were selling them then this would be a problem for you.

Regardless of the headline price, it's best to see for yourself which board suits you.
And, if you are selling the 2011 Starboard Quad IQs – or just thinking of buying new – you should give them a go. Superb boards, with a new fin system adaptable to different sailing styles and wave conditions.

I guess most people won't know this because the prices of all new boards is high, people haven't got the money to spend right now, and the Quads haven't been tested much.
17 March '11 | 8:08am
Billy, I would be interested in testing a Starboard Quad. I live in London. Where could I demo a 82 and/or 87? WP
edmund
17 March '11 | 9:50pm
if its free style free ride, go whichcraft, its all about the back foot, if its waves dont bother, its real bad also to looking at, if its waves, x on , x off, go quatro 4, but not whichcraft, most of the embaressing!, all the time!
Windandbigwaves
16 September '11 | 5:02am
I have a 2011 rrd 93 liter Quad inbound. Getting away from my90 fsw. Goto boards are 83 wave cult single and 105 skate. Im 200 pounder excelling in waves. Report to come... Hope I like it!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Attachments:
  • Valid attachments: gif, jpg, jpeg, png
  • No file can be larger than 400 KB
  • 5 more file(s) can be attached to this message