Hello, welcome to Boardseeker Windsurfing Magazine please use the links below to jump to a specific section.

Navigation Search Content Other Mpora Sites
BIG Wave Board
28 February '11 | 8:49pm
Hi There,

Will you guys be testing BIG wave boards in the 90's litres? Seems that with the new quad configuration these are a must for the quiver and also maybe as one board quiver. I weight 78kg, but don't sail much so these are easy boards to jump on and feel as if I you were sailing often. Also range is huge so can take down to 4.5m sails. By the way I am looking at getting the RRD wave cult 92 quad or the Tabou Da Curve Quad 91. Any comparisons among these would also be much appreciated.

Thank you, and good wind to you.

WP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/02/2011 | 8:50pm by woodpecker.
drm
Re: BIG Wave Board
1 March '11 | 1:33pm
Fully agree! Ever since the multi-fin boards arrived, a big (90 litre+) board makes a lot of sense! I am on my third now, RRD twin90, Fanatic Twin93 and currently Tabou Quad91 and must say that no other board has given me more wavesailing days or improved my waveriding as much as these have! These days, I would give up my 80-litre board before my 90-litre, since it just gives me so much more time on water. I am 77 kgs, and for the 85kg+ guys, which happen to be quite a few, a test of the 90-litre+ multifin waveboards would be even more interesting.
8 March '11 | 8:50pm
Thanks DRM for the support.

How does the Da Curve compare to other high volume wave boards you've had; mainly in terms of difficulty and forgiveness? I was thinking about the RRD wave cult 92 as well. This last one I would expect more forgiving due to overall fuller outline, but the Da Curve I would expect to be more exiting. I am also around 77kg. The DC should be more difficult to sail, but does the float provide forgiveness for tacking and not doing a perfect jibe; or the outline is so compact that does not give you much time to recover? Also I would sail bump jump conditions.

I have used the DC85 2007 and was blown away. You'r comments would be much appreciated until we get a review.

Good winds, WP

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2011 | 8:53pm by woodpecker.
Trend anlyzer
9 March '11 | 10:58am
Hi Woody

Both those boards you mention are great products but Just out of interest why is it that the 2011 Starboard Quad isnt on your shortlist ??

Cheers
Davey
9 March '11 | 11:12am
Hi Davey. This sounds like a marketing survey.

Tried Starboards at Porto Pollo in Sardinia, not my cup of tea. Sailed the EVO 80, easy but not as exiting as Da Curve, for example. Also Starboard quad does not get the best reviews and maybe being the only with a different fin configuration does not help (big fins infront, small fins on the back). Though the slot box (invented by Tabou) looks great and simple. WP
fat boy
9 March '11 | 2:47pm
enough of all these light weights, lets have a 90l wave board test for 100Kg riders !
9 March '11 | 3:04pm
Be carefull woodpecker, the dacurve is definitly not an easy board to sail if you're an occasional sailor! I tested both the dacurve quad 91 and the pocket single 85. I weight 75kg and my friend who also tested them is around 65kg (both used to sail 70-75l waveboards in waves) .

ok it was only in lightwind with big sails (5,7 5,3 5,0) but the dacurve fells small, very unstable pretty much like a 80l waveboard! the carving is crazy but the sub-planning sailing is really technical for a board of its size...

If you want an easy waveboard (yet exciting) because you don't sail that often and just wanna have fun, go for the pocket which is realy a lovely board. It feels stable when non planning and quick to plane. Being so short and compact, it's still very easy in the air or when overpowered. Plus the 2011 are in tri fin config!
drm
10 March '11 | 9:59am
Yep, I agree, the DC91 quad really is a great turning board, but it sails like a 82-84 litre "normal" wavboard. It takes some skill to tack, my previous Fanatic Twin 93 was easier to tack and better for general blasting I'd say.

If you are looking a bit for "general blasting", I would say that there are better options out there than a quad-fin.

For a more thorough review on the DC91 Quad, go to:

[forum.tabou-boards.com]

Good luck!
trendspotter
10 March '11 | 12:51pm
Hi woody

i guess it is kind of marketing - i work in a windsurf shop and am trying to understand the market for wave boards better - who wants what - why they want it - what they are prepared to pay - basically is it a viable business proposition ?????

Good luck whatever you buy---

My 2 penniworth is that the DC's are freakin' awesome boards and the rrd's are a bit too planted (read dull) for me. The 2010 starboard quad was a shoooower of you know what but the 2011 is very good indeed - so good i bought one in fact !

laters
Davey
10 March '11 | 9:15pm
Hey! Nick a Frog Dude, Booh! and thank you for the concern. I have an 84 litre and no problems. If any, the problem could be the short distance from the nose to the mast base.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2011 | 9:18pm by woodpecker.
10 March '11 | 9:47pm
Hi trendspotter
I think Starboard have done a lot of damage to their wave baord market by discontinueing boards after about 6 months (evil Twin) and very mixed reviews. After years of building a strong following with the evo and acid they seem to have lost their way a bit. Meanwhile quatros market share has grown greatly on the back of good tests.

Personaly I (93kg) am on my second witchcraft 92ltr wave board it is my mid sized board and I love it.

[www.sailrepair.co.uk]
[www.maverx.co.uk]
11 March '11 | 3:04pm
Sven has gone Loco!
Billy
11 March '11 | 5:26pm
I don't normally bother with this forum but there are some real rubbish answers here.

Sailrepair is talking particular crap but I suppose that depends what he is selling this week.

Whilst it's true that all the brands have had hiccups in their transitions to multi fin boards it is totally unfair to slag off Starboard for all their designs, some of which were groundbreaking – and only two actually had less than favourable reviews.

The Evil Twins for example were very good in some of the sizes but not all. The early Quads (2010) were the first of their kind on the market and some people really love them, big fins and all. Personally, I found them too stiff on the wave and some sizes had a tendency to stay tacking in a straight line when you wanted to turn hard.

But this is not the case with any of the 2011 Quad IQ boards, and each size is very user friendly and plug and play. The whole range has had rave reviews and, answering this thread, you should certainly consider the bigger boards if that is what you are after.
11 March '11 | 9:43pm
Woodpecker, how about going to a custom shaper, tell him what you're after in a one board quiver, demo some of their custom board to see what you like and don't like and go from there.

That's what I'm doing at the moment, but going for a two board quiver instead, and at the current production board prices you'd be silly not to.

Maybe something to think about? (No I don't work in the windsurfing industry / for a board shaper)
15 March '11 | 9:04pm
Billy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't normally bother with this forum but there
> are some real rubbish answers here.
>
> Sailrepair is talking particular crap but I
> suppose that depends what he is selling this
> week.
>
> Whilst it's true that all the brands have had
> hiccups in their transitions to multi fin boards
> it is totally unfair to slag off Starboard for all
> their designs, some of which were groundbreaking
> – and only two actually had less than favourable
> reviews.
>
> The Evil Twins for example were very good in some
> of the sizes but not all. The early Quads (2010)
> were the first of their kind on the market and
> some people really love them, big fins and all.
> Personally, I found them too stiff on the wave and
> some sizes had a tendency to stay tacking in a
> straight line when you wanted to turn hard.
>
> But this is not the case with any of the 2011 Quad
> IQ boards, and each size is very user friendly and
> plug and play. The whole range has had rave
> reviews and, answering this thread, you should
> certainly consider the bigger boards if that is
> what you are after.

Billy
I have nothing against starboard, I'm a starboard dealer. All I'm saying is the demand for the new starboards is a lot less than it was for evo's. Its not good when they dump a design like the evil twin. I'm not saying anything about its performance but you'd be gutted if a month after you paid £1300 for one everyone is clearing them out at £650. People are then nervous about paying £1400 for the new model regardless of how good it is.

Once bitten twice shy.

[www.sailrepair.co.uk]
[www.maverx.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/03/2011 | 9:11pm by sailrepair.
15 March '11 | 10:25pm
Back to the subject, and please use your own post for your own purposes; RRD 92 or DC 91? Focus, focus.....
16 March '11 | 7:54am
Have you felt the weight of the new RRDs?! They're extremely heavy, as I think they've had to beef them up due to warranty issues in the past, so you may find them way too heavy to ride them properly at 78kgs.

I also think the DC is too gunny for a one board quiver too.

Any thoughts on a custom?
TonyD
16 March '11 | 12:44pm
I'm also really interested in large multi-fin boards. Ideally I'd like a multifin wavy freestylewave if you see what I mean to go with a Quatro quad LS75. I've been thinking about a Witchcraft Chakra but am not sure. I want something that is a wavy all rounder and can deal with different types of waves. I am seriously thinking of talking to Moo about a custom.
16 March '11 | 3:59pm
I've just tried a shape by Jim from Puravida, made by Moo, which is a 98 ish quad and it really rips. I compared it to some large production wave boards and boy can you tell the difference. It was like the others still had the handbrake on as the board was so light and responsive, which I'd put down to the way custom shapers make their boards i.e. not in a mold.

Jim is actually starting to shape windsurf boards, he's been making surf boards for years, so I'm gonna try a couple of his prototypes and go from there. The good thing is you can also try loads of production boards at the same time, tell them what you like and don't like about them and create your shape from there.

There is the resale value issue, granted, but if it's a board you like you'll keep it till it wears away anyway and you can always get it resprayed through the years if you're that vain ;0)

It's a no brainer for me with the modern day prices for "cutting edge" quads.
16 March '11 | 6:10pm
Jenk S Russ - in response to your comment of the RRD being unsuitable for someone 78kg due to the board being extremely heavy.

"Extremely heavy" means at most 500grams more than other brands and yet not being the heaviest out there.

Your comment is like saying a car is slower than another because the side mirrors are too big.

500grams can be saved on a better mast or boom, or taking a shit.

Please blog responsibly, and apply common sense.

WP
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Attachments:
  • Valid attachments: gif, jpg, jpeg, png
  • No file can be larger than 400 KB
  • 5 more file(s) can be attached to this message