Hello, welcome to Boardseeker Windsurfing Magazine please use the links below to jump to a specific section.

Navigation Search Content Other Mpora Sites

RRD Firestorm vs Firemove?

Posted by mmarzolf 
RRD Firestorm vs Firemove?
7 December '11 | 2:33pm
RRD Firestorm or Firemove?

I am researching which of these boards would be best for me and would appreciate any advice anyone has on the decision:

I am 174lbs(79kilo), 5'11"
Intermediate ability (in harness, in straps, planing, working on jibes, working on water starting)
I own an Ezzy Freeride 6.0 and an Ezzy Freeride 7.5 (and an RRD Longrider 180L, 340cm x 70cm)

I live and sail in Minnesota, 12knot-20knot winds, usually flatter water

Style: Freeride

which board is better for:

early planing?

jibing?

flat water?

rough water?

controlled vs squirly?

lastly, which size would be best? (Firemove: 100, 110, 120, Firestorm: 111, 120, 138)

thanks a ton!

mike
niv
Re: RRD Firestorm vs Firemove?
15 December '11 | 4:29am
I'm after the same info for Perth Australia and i'm the same size.
Jem Hall
15 December '11 | 10:35pm
i will answer your questions on these boards very soon and thanks for asking, got dodgy internet here in Jeri but will be on it soon

thanks
Jem Hall
RRD brand manager UK - International R & D for RRD
Jem Hall
21 December '11 | 3:03pm
I will answer your questions below : )

RRD Firestorm or Firemove?

I am 174lbs(79kilo), 5'11"
Intermediate ability (in harness, in straps, planing, working on jibes, working on water starting)
I own an Ezzy Freeride 6.0 and an Ezzy Freeride 7.5 (and an RRD Longrider 180L, 340cm x 70cm)

I live and sail in Minnesota, 12knot-20knot winds, usually flatter water

Style: Freeride

which board is better for:

early planing? both boards plane very early however, if you are confirming similar volume boards the wider freemove will just have the edge, eg 110 firemove vs the 111 firestorm

jibing? The firestorm is a fast board and corners with great control and fast exits, however the firemove is smoother and easier and gybes amazingly for its width. The width is there to get the rails thin which then allows the rider to really press the rail down and gybe sooo easily ..

flat water? Both are equally good, and while the Firestorm feels faster the firemove is right there just behind it. It depends on what you want out of your flat water sessions?

rough water? The firemove has impeccable control and the firestorm will give you a faster and friskier ride but will still be alot more in control than other sporty freeride boards.

controlled vs squirly? The firemove is the control master, all the great attributes of this board are now exhibited in our NEW RRD FSW V2s. The great feedback on our firemoves has been immense!

lastly, which size would be best? (Firemove: 100, 110, 120, Firestorm: 111, 120, 138)

Mike, I FEEL THE 110 FIREMOVE IS the board for you. Perfect for improving at your level and a board you can grow with and keep for a long time. It has many strap options and with a few different fins it will be hugely versatile for you.

Perhaps in the future you can partner it with the NEW RRD FSW v2 102

enjoy,
Jem
21 December '11 | 5:50pm
very, very, helpful -- thank you!
Jem Hall
22 December '11 | 9:13am
Pleasure sir : )

Merry Xmas
Anton
14 January '12 | 8:23pm
Hy Guy,

I have tried both rrd fireride 145 and rrd firestorm this summer in sardegna with 3&4 wind force
Firestorm is really better for planning departure and speed, but it is more for expert than the fireride wich is vert easy in access...
I am 85 kg
Thé two boards are good boards
Ciao
Anton France
23 January '12 | 6:30pm
Why not try x-fire?

I have a feeling these "in between boards" are just marketing....why not a slalom board with an appropriate fin?
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Attachments:
  • Valid attachments: gif, jpg, jpeg, png
  • No file can be larger than 400 KB
  • 5 more file(s) can be attached to this message